Seed JWP Colour

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, I have a couple of seed JWP.
The small shohin one I have arrived a very lime green but is looking a bit sketchy. I know being a seed that appearance will always vary and i know pines can drop some colour in winter, but wanted to check this as i dont think it was in the best health when i got it.
Its been lifted from the pot to check the roots but not disturbed at all (Peter Warren did this not me!) smelling the soil there is no rot smell but equally there is no white gold present at all :(

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on any tips to keep it healthy other than keeping it dry over winter?
first pic is from July then the other 2 pics are from now comparing to my other seed JWP.

20200507_122459.jpg

132604515_976448166215359_7906831681393782807_n.jpg
20210104_130416.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
JWP from seed vary a lot. Very few seedlings have the tight, blue tufts that are so prized. That is one reason why so many JWP are grafted. Not because “their roots are weak”, as so many think, no, they’re grafted to get that beautiful foliage.

Yes, if kept too wet, they’ll yellow. But some just are naturally more yellow than others.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Adair M thank you, apricate your input. I'll keep it in my over winter area which is an open greenhouse to let the air in but keep them dry.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all, I have a couple of seed JWP.
The small shohin one I have arrived a very lime green but is looking a bit sketchy. I know being a seed that appearance will always vary and i know pines can drop some colour in winter, but wanted to check this as i dont think it was in the best health when i got it.
Its been lifted from the pot to check the roots but not disturbed at all (Peter Warren did this not me!) smelling the soil there is no rot smell but equally there is no white gold present at all :(

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on any tips to keep it healthy other than keeping it dry over winter?
first pic is from July then the other 2 pics are from now comparing to my other seed JWP.

I have 3 JWP. In 2019, one of them started to look yellowish on some of the branches like yours.

Yes they do get a little yellow in the winter but this happened in the middle of the year.
Parts of it was pretty yellow while other areas were still blue green but it was otherwise healthy (forming buds for the next year etc).
I gave mine some liquid iron supplement in its feed in the late summer/early fall of 2019.
This year, the areas of the tree that were yellow turned back to their usual blue green color.
Its worth a shot to give it some iron supplement when you resume feeding it in the spring. If you arent that cold yet you could even give it a dose now.
It will take some time to see a response so dont panic if it takes a while.

Last edited:

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have 3 JWP. In 2019, one of them started to look yellowish on some of the branches like yours.

Yes they do get a little yellow in the winter but this happened in the middle of the year.
Parts of it was pretty yellow while other areas were still blue green but it was otherwise healthy (forming buds for the next year etc).
I gave mine some liquid iron supplement in its feed in the late summer/early fall of 2019.
This year, the areas of the tree that were yellow turned back to their usual blue green color.
Its worth a shot to give it some iron supplement when you resume feeding it in the spring. If you arent that cold yet you could even give it a dose now.
It will take some time to see a response so dont panic if it takes a while.
thanks good shout actually didnt think of that. I have some BAC spray which helps rebuild chlorophyll that people talk highly about so I'll give it a go.
Its below 5C here so bit too cold to do much to them but i'll give it an iron feed when it starts to wake up again.
It came in really bad soil

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Adair M & @Paradox so its looking progressively worse, couple of scratched on the bark and i cant see any green cambium :( Im assuming this is likely a goner, any suggestions on anything to try before I accept its fate? heat mat, grow light, singing??

20210201_121810.jpg20210201_121814.jpg

Top Bottom