Seed Pod Identification

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can anyone identify these seed pods? I could have sworn I took it from an Acacia, but the Acacia seed pods I've been seeing online look very different. I was able to germinate the seeds and the leaves coming out look like Acacia to me (of course, there are a number of species that look like Acacia).

Attachments

• Seed pods.jpg
    Seed pods.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Germinated.jpg
    Germinated.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 79

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If it helps, the seed pods seem to have 4 chambers containing seeds. The seeds are not in a row like in a pea pod.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can anyone identify these seed pods? I could have sworn I took it from an Acacia, but the Acacia seed pods I've been seeing online look very different. I was able to germinate the seeds and the leaves coming out look like Acacia to me (of course, there are a number of species that look like Acacia).
Would help a lot if you provided the source of the pods, or more clues about their background. Could be anything

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked the seed pods off a tree in Jerusalem, Israel. Tree identification app said Acacia Robusta. The tree definitely looked like an Acacia. There were no flowers on the tree. I may be mistaken, but I believe the attached pic is from the grouping of trees where I took the seeds.

Attachments

• acacia.jpg
    acacia.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 71

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's another that I believe is from the same grouping. My best guess is Acacia Farnesiana, but the seed pods are throwing me off.

Attachments

• farnes.jpg
    farnes.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 87

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you harvest them from the tree or took them from the ground?

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fruits are definitely not from a legume, they look familiar but I can’t make the connection at this moment.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you have any opened seed pods to show? That would help.
I will open one and take some pics.

In the interim, the trees are all growing nicely. I'm 8 for 8 so far with one runt. Leaves are definitely bipinnate. I've scoured the internet for pinnate trees and these kinds of seeds with no success. I find either pinnate leaves with legume type seeds or seeds like from the Brachychiton which this isn't.

I'm going to continue with the assumption this is a tropical tree and wait for some other distinguishing characteristics. I'll follow up with pics of the seed pod.

This is fun.

Attachments

• acacia2.jpg
    acacia2.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 61

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They even look like acacia seedlings, by now I wonder if you mislabelled some seedpackages or collected two types of seed at the same location.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you have any opened seed pods to show? That would help.
I split a pod open along the seam length wise. It has one row of seeds on each side of the pod. See pic. The seeds are round and somewhat flat.

They even look like acacia seedlings, by now I wonder if you mislabelled some seedpackages or collected two types of seed at the same location.
Maybe Acacia maybe not, but I definitely took only one type of seed from one tree.

Attachments

• seed.jpg
    seed.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 58

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I split a pod open along the seam length wise. It has one row of seeds on each side of the pod. See pic. The seeds are round and somewhat flat.

Maybe Acacia maybe not, but I definitely took only one type of seed from one tree.
Thanks, that should aid identification.
Did you see any of these trees in a natural setting or were they only growing along streets or in a garden?
There’s the possibility they are not native to the area you found them.

Last edited:

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wrong they could still be Fabaceae. I wrongly thought they are a box fruit, but I do think they could be a legume.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My money is on Vachellia caven, (i have a feeling i've seen many of these trees as a kid growing up)

Attachments

• CalPhotos_0000_0000_0916_0440.jpg
    CalPhotos_0000_0000_0916_0440.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 43

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I may need to change the name of this thread to make it a progress thread. In the interim, the seedlings seem to be doing OK. I raised the pots to be much closer to the LEDs - now about a foot away. I also started fertilizing with Bonsai Pro at 1/2 strength.

Not sure when to repot these, but I'll give them some more time before moving them around.

Attachments

• seedlings.jpg
    seedlings.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 33

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I started to up-pot these bad boys one by one over the weekend. I staggered the repotting somewhat to see how they respond and if I should proceed. Some were bare rooted and most were slip potted. For the slip potted, I removed the top dressing of moss from some, but believed I was losing roots so I stopped. They all seem to be doing ok for now.

Attachments

• repot.jpg
    repot.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom