Seed Pod Identification

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Vachelia Caven are aggressive growers. Not even two months since germination and this guy is at least 1.5 feet tall. (sorry for the bathroom pic - I gotta water somewhere). Some are starting to lean over from their own weight.

I've been fertilizing with bonsai pro. Have them on 14.5 hours of sun and 9.5 hours dark. Trees seem to be loving life.

Attachments

• vc.jpg
    vc.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 58

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
27" in 2 months!

Attachments

• vc7.jpg
    vc7.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 36

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This one seedling is amusing me. I think it has gigantism and is twice as tall as the others.

Attachments

• vc8.jpg
    vc8.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 32

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Brought half outside this morning - these are my only tropicals, so hope this was right.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anyone know how I can change the name of this thread?

As an update, I culled the 8 VCs down to 3 and one died. The final 2 received a repot and the trunks were staked into the ground to hold these lanky things up. They will get a chop before coming back inside for the winter as they are just too tall for the grow tent.

Attachments

• VC9.jpg
    VC9.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 19

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In anticipation of bringing these guys back inside, I cut them back a few feet so they fit in the grow tent. 8 months from germination, these seem to be doing ok. Trunk is about 0.5 inches. One has some subtle movement.

Soil has an odor. It's not rot and suspect it has something to do with the nitrogen fixing bacteria.

Tree seems to be able to take a decent root pruning and keep ticking.

Attachments

• vc11.jpg
    vc11.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 9
  • vc12.jpg
    vc12.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom