Seedling bend survival

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long after doing aggressive bends in juniper and black pine seedlings until I'll see the results of their stress or death?

I know when I work on broad leaves I can see the next day how pissed off they are, but I heard conifers are different and can be dead for weeks before they show any outward signs!

The seedlings I bent look great, but they could be dead for all i know. When can I breathe a sigh of relief? I want these to pass a short test of time before I do others.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
I have seen junipers take several months to show signs of stress from styling, repotting.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I heard conifers are different and can be dead for weeks before they show any outward signs!

This is BS from people not paying enough attention.

Sorce

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did the black pine last night and the juniper monday night

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Damage can take a few weeks to show up on conifers but what does the timeframe matter? It has either been damaged or it hasn't. No going back now and you should not be doing further work until it recovers anyway so why the need for a timeline?
Sit back, stay positive and relax.

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damage can take a few weeks to show up on conifers but what does the timeframe matter? It has either been damaged or it hasn't. No going back now and you should not be doing further work until it recovers anyway so why the need for a timeline?
Sit back, stay positive and relax.
There's no rush, I was just hoping there was some sort of time frame because I only wired one of 14 seedlings. I want to see how it responds before I do the other ones-- seems reasonable.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
My practice is to wire junipers and pines after October- November, depending on weather.
Just my two cent’s

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Normally, bending juniper youngsters should not be a problem for them. Important: Keep them in the shade for the first 2 weeks or so. That way, any stress to the pipes does not directly lead to drying out the plant

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
My practice is to wire all pines and junipers in the fall.

It works for me in my environment

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like it might be a good plan to wait until November to do the other ones, then. I'm in zone 6 and they'll be kept in an unheated green house. I also have a garage that is around 45-55 f in winter would that be better?

Do you mean it shouldnt be the case that I can see when they are angry, or that it shouldnt be the case that I'm making them that angry? lol

I have been misting and keeping in shade, so that's good at least.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
My pines and junipers stay outside 24x7 regardless of weather conditions.
The only protection I give my trees is to place them directly on the ground after thanksgiving.

Top Bottom