Seedling Division: Dingus' shohin dawn redwood forest

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tend to start much of my seed in the fall. It entertains me to watch them grow through the dead of winter. I have a decent setup for doing this and have been doing it this way for years :D

Last year, I started a shohin dawn redwood project just seconds (ok, maybe a month?) before this contest went live. There's a thread on that forest here:

Rather than finagle the rules or enter them in the sapling division, I'm starting fresh!

I made some mistakes with the first attempt. Almost killed them...almost ;) They are all still alive at this point and I'll probably continue that forest until they do die...but I also love redwoods so much that it's not a hardship to start over and be within the framework of the rules :D

So here goes!

20210826_101806.jpg 20210826_102150.jpg 20210826_102158.jpg

The pot is a @sorce pot of the same style as my other shohin dawn redwood forest...but a little longer. The soil volume is roughly 5"x4"x0.5". It holds about a cup and a half of potting soil! Good thing dawn redwoods are the runts of the redwood family ;)

The potting soil is a big box store bark based mix for houseplants.

I just received a ton of new seed from Sheffield's. I poured a small amount out of the bag into my palm and sprinkled the seed over the mix. I poked some of the ones that overlapped around to more open space. I counted 28 seeds total...give or take. My normal germination rate from Sheffield's dawn redwood seed is over 50% so hopefully I'll be thinning these out at some point.

I then sprinkled some DE over the top. Not enough to fully cover the seed...they need light to germinate...but enough to "tuck in" most of the seed. I added the DE because this soil can quickly foster a fungus gnat infestation! After the seeds germinate, I hope to be adding more to make a barrier over the bark soil so the gnats can't lay their eggs. That's been really effective on my indoor plants the past few winters! I didn't add too much at this point because the seedlings need to be able to raise their heads when they start to germinate. Hopefully I didn't bury anyone enough to prevent that from happening.

Finally, the pot was put on one of my grow light shelves. The lights for that shelf are off for the summer. That window faces southeast and gets plenty of direct sun. I won't start supplementing light for a couple of months yet...usually when the tropicals come back inside late September/early October.

...and we're off! Let's see how this one goes!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After 4 days, I noticed the first sleepy head poking up :D

20210830_085952.jpg

Today...one week after being sown...my best count is 18 of the 28 seeds have germinated thus far.

20210901_102118.jpg 20210901_102128.jpg

Most are still hard to see...just a sliver of green trunk here-n-there. Some of these will die off over time :( They won't be able to root properly, or shed their seed coat, or damp off, etc...I don't have the best humidity control with my clear plastic drip tray placed over the seedlings! But a few more may pop up over the next few days as well.

Anyway, 18 is a good number to select eventual keepers from. My hope is to pull one or two early for a mame pots so I have individuals to experiment on at this scale :D I'd like to grow one "naturally" the way I intend to grow this forest and use it to play around with how this forest should be managed. If I pull two, the second I might try and twist/contort into anything BUT a natural redwood style and see how it responds :D

Since "they" are always saying germination of redwoods is very low (I've seen quotes on this site even of less than 5% germination rate) and all my personal (though anecdotal) evidence is contrary, I thought I'd try and be a little more diligent about counting and measuring the germination rate this year. I have this set plus one additional set I want to start to rebuild my "spaceship" (really a hallowed out cypress knee) this fall that I hope to measure my "typical" germination rates with. I have had really poor rates with random seed bought off the internet...maybe the source of the lower end quotes? I've always had acceptable germination rates from Sheffield's seed, however.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...and with that little guy at the base of the trunk in the center, this batch has achieved 100% germination! 28 for 28 :D

20210907_103933.jpg

That's quite a few seedlings in a tiny pot!

20210907_100837.jpg

When I started these, I was thinking I would pluck away the ones I don't want. In the end, I only want 5 trunks. That's a lot of seedlings to pluck away :(

I was planning on starting another small batch a little later: I need a few trunks for my mixed redwoods planting in this competition

plus I want to restart my forest-in-a-cypress-knee that I've had for several years but tore apart to try and beef up a branch on one of the trees that grew an albino stripe. Since so many seedlings sprouted, and since they are still tiny enough to move easily, I thought I'd try moving some of these instead of starting a new batch a little later.

At this size, they are still very easy to move...some of the just-germinated seeds have roots still fighting across the surface looking for a nook to dive into. At this stage, everybody looks pretty much like this

20210907_101513.jpg

As long as I don't break the root tip, they should move safely enough. So I carefully plucked out half of the seedlings to move into my hallowed out cypress knee. I left 14 trunks behind. 14 should be plenty to allow for some mistakes that lead to attrition. Once things start taking shape, if there are still more than 5 trunks, I'll grab a pair of pruners :) I'll try to get down to the final 5 trunks sometime before they get to 6" tall.

Here are some of the ones I moved into the cypress knee for other projects:

20210907_103736.jpg

And here are the remaining 14 for this project:

20210907_103520.jpg 20210907_103525.jpg

I'm going out of town for the weekend. I'll be moving these under my larger propagation dome so I don't have to worry about them drying out while I'm out of town. After that, I'll be weening them off any sort of humidity dome and just letting them grow for the duration. I love having some of these guys to watch grow over the winter months :D

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A quick update on these...

They're just hanging out. They've been inside under lights. I've been busy with other things and haven't been watering them as often as I should. They've been on the dry side for the past few months so they're not growing much. I'm fine with that. I need to move them to a new house sometime over the winter. Fingers crossed they survive the move!

20211105_094304.jpg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The realities of the move set in and these guys develop so fast that it was just easier to pitch them and start over. So I did. I should have taken pictures, but they were still just hanging out...maybe a few mm taller...in early January when I pitched them so I could wrap up the pot to fit in that last little space in a box full of bonsai pottery marked fragile.

I killed my entertaining "dawn redwood shohin" that was just a year old for the same reason.

But now I can start anew! Which I did on 2022/03/30:

20220330_181713.jpg

And now...1 month later:

20220430_080045.jpg 20220430_080141.jpg

I prepped the seeds (from Sheffield's) by soaking them in water overnight then dumping them onto the surface of the soil and sprinkling a dusting of fresh soil to just barely cover the seeds. I've found this to be the most reliable method...provided the seeds stay moist!

In my experience, the seed casing needs to remain constantly moist until they germinate. If they are buried to deep, they either fail to germinate (some sources insist they need light to germinate) or they germinate but can't poke their heads above soil level because it gets trapped down by the seed coat. Don't bury them at all and it's difficult to maintain enough moisture on the seed coat for the seed to germinate.

I think I've demonstrated the later here:

20220430_080249.jpg

There are two pots in the picture where the seeds were sown...this is the second one. The seed in both pots was poured out of the same bag into the same tray of water to soak overnight. The seed was sown by pouring the water out over the pots...alternating between them as I went. That is, I poured some water over pot one and a few seeds flowed into the pot...then I poured some over pot 2 and poured out roughly the same amount of seeds...and back and forth. So at the time the pots were sown, everything was as identical as can be.

The pots remained in that black watering tray in roughly that arrangement for the entire month.

What was different between the two over the month was that for the first few days I forgot to put a humidity dome over the pots. I usually used a turned over plastic drip tray as a humidity dome because fresh air can sneak under it but it still holds in a lot of humidity. My drip trays were out in the barn and I kept forgetting to run out there to grab a few. Since the humidity wasn't captured, the pots...and the seeds...dried out a bit more than I would have liked. After about 3-4 days I finally got off my lazy ass and went out to the barn to grab a few humidity domes. By then, the pot that germinated a forest was still slightly damp...but the other pot had dried out on the surface pretty completely. After the humidity domes were on, both pots remained moist for the rest of the month.

What I suspect has happened is the seed coats had broken through during the first few days...but then the one pot dried out. The one that remained moist provided an environment that fostered continued germination. The pot that did not remain moist dried out enough that the seeds desiccated within their husks. I only got two or three to germinate way off in a corner where it likely remained moist a little longer.

I go into detail on this because I often see complaints about "low germination" with dawn redwood seeds. While I do believe that seed source matters (I do have a packet of approximately 1 million seeds from one specific vendor that I have had very, very poor germination rates from), I also believe a lot of what people are experiencing is just how delicate the germination process is for these guys. They aren't "hard" to germinate...just very specific :) There's little else that can explain the very different results from these two pots.

Anyway, the second pot was never intended for this competition. I'd thinking of growing a very tight clump of 4 trunks in that pot. I may/may not document that elsewhere.

For this competition, the first pot is a re-do of the original planting I had started back in August of last year. This time the seeds are being started at a more traditional time is all :D

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should add that for the time being, this planting is indoors under lights. It is very likely that this planting will remain indoors 100% of the time. I'll decide in the fall if I want to move it outdoors long enough to put it to sleep for the winter, or not. But, until then, the intent is to keep it 100% indoors.

Heresy, right?!?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Hey idiot! Water us!!!"

20220505_202512.jpg

But I've been real busy and now I'm kinda burnt out and I'd just like to stare at stupid TV for a bit before going to bed...

20220505_202621.jpg

"But it's been days!!! Water or we quit!"

Sigh...all right...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...8 hours later...

"Thank you. But we haven't made any final decisions on that quitting shit. We're watching you!"

20220506_063210.jpg

I know, I know...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For my lunch break today, I pulled all the seedlings with foliate too wilted to survive.

20220506_120208.jpg

Some of them were standing up again, but the foliage had that seaweed green tissue color that you just know can't come back. At this stage, the trunks don't back bud!

What's left will probably make it if I'm not stupid again. We'll know better in a few days. Some of the ones that remain have a few sets of true leaves. This will set their grow phase back a bit...

20220506_120214.jpg

I was thinking to start thinning these guys out this weekend...but not like this!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I still find the occasional fallen.

20220527_140241.jpg

I don't usually lose many at this stage so I think some might still be succumbing to consequences from The Great Drought of May.

But mostly they're looking healthy and in line with what I would expect at this stage.

20220527_140149.jpg 20220527_140157.jpg 20220527_140201.jpg

They seem to only be slightly behind these

at the same age. Hopefully we're all back on track now!

I'll still give them another month before I start trimming trunks though. My end goal is 5 with a height near 8 inches.

Top Bottom