Seedling Help Needed!

Dracos101

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Y’all,

I am asking from West Tennessee (7b), and I found this seedling. It looks like a maple to me, but want to know what type. I planted it in the soil I found around the plant (Clay), and added some garden soil. How should I take care of it? This would be my first Bonsai, and I don’t want it to die. I just planted it yesterday. Any advise is Appreciated! Thanks!

Dracos101

Seedling
Reaction score
Hmmm, for some reason the pic is not showing up

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, fellow tree person. Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

I am not too good at Acer identification this young (unless it’s in my hands). I will, however, “take a crack at it” until someone who is more versed and learned can assist...

Acer Saccharinum??? Or Rubrum?? I believe they are native to Tennessee...
If the “finished product” is more shrub-like.. i know Mountains, and Striped Maples are native to that region...(however I’ve never SEEN a seedling)

Dang.. I guess that was no help at all.. I’m sorry...

Still had to try.

Dracos101

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your guesses. I also think it may be Rubrum. Now since this is my first bonsai, I am not sure on how to water it. Any tips? As I said before, the soil is a mixture of Clay and Garden Soil.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The clay and garden soil mix is not going to be ideal for your little friend, as it will retain a higher amount of water. Also if it is “Garden Soil” as apposed to “Potting Soil”, that means (I believe) even HIGHER retention, and the PH will be geared toward “in-ground use.”

You would (in a perfect world) want to get it into some faster draining substrate. However, I think that maybe the roots should NOT be disturbed at this particular point in time in your particular area of the world.
Once again, not completely sure. A larger skillset then my own should be along shortly.

I, personally, have transplanted seedlings at many different times of the year successfully. I cannot, in good conscience recommend this though, as I am new to this, as well.

Returning to your watering question... My answer would be... Depends on the substrate. In that soil, I wouldn’t overthink it. moist, not soggy.

Basically, it’d be wonderful to get that tree into different soil. But I lack the body of experience to actually advise you what road to take. The maple, as it sits, shouldn’t be tricky at all to water. :)

Top Bottom