Seedling Identification

Pals_id

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hello,

I stratified and planted some Japanese Maple tree seeds this year and had a handful of plants germinate in my planting container. However, the problem is that I have never planted Maple and have no idea what they look like within their first few months of growth. I know seeds may not be true to the parent plant, but they are from Bloodgood and Beni Otake stock. The lack of leaves that look like either of these varieties makes me suspicious, but they did seem to come up in the same general areas I planted the seeds. I would like to know so that I don't discard them if they are maples, or continue to feed and water them if they are weeds.

These pictures were taken this week and the plants came up the first part of June. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have 4 germinated seedlings from sango kaku that look like that too... I hope it might chamge in some days.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The first set of leaves will not look like a Jap maple leaf... They start with small, thin seedling leaves, but the ones I started this year DID look like JM by the second set of leaves... This does not look like JM to me... Could just be a different variety.

Top Bottom