Seedling Plug Progressions: Serissa Japonica 1 - Buxus Sprinter 1.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sooooo THIS Serissa ended up seeing it’s end during my experiments with “water treatment” and was on the receiving end of VERY acidic water. (DOUBLE treated)..

Buuuuuuut...

Two cuttings I took RIGHT Before it’s demise are doing great.

Number 1 I’m going for a shohin-ish-sized dual trunk design... pretty excited, as the “tree” is already kind of doing what I want out of it’s own volition.F4B9CD26-0D52-48FA-B4F4-18D7EB3B9B32.jpeg
(After TLC)399105CE-5EDB-41D3-A0A4-8DBCC86997B2.jpeg

Number 2... WAS taller, elegant...
NOW is headed in delightfully grotesque, quirky direction

WAS50C4662F-D73A-4095-A923-B410563179D2.jpeg
IS2B25EA60-937A-465F-BA12-BB6DF5BBCC32.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Those are nice ones!
Thank you!!!! They started much more...“stupid”. 🤦🏽‍♂️ I would KEEP propagating them IF they were non-variegated... i enjoy their growth habits.. I just have a hard time, visually for “bonsai scale”, with a good chunk of variegated foliage...

But I just love plants... “bonsai” or not doesn’t change that!

🤣

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thank you!!!! They started much more...“stupid”. 🤦🏽‍♂️ I would KEEP propagating them IF they were non-variegated... i enjoy their growth habits.. I just have a hard time, visually for “bonsai scale”, with a good chunk of variegated foliage...

But I just love plants... “bonsai” or not doesn’t change that!

🤣
I like all of them, but have a difficult time keeping them alive in the winter here. I did have one plant and a cutting survive from last year, better than usual.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like all of them, but have a difficult time keeping them alive in the winter here. I did have one plant and a cutting survive from last year, better than usual.
I’ve gotten SOMEWHAT accustomed to their.. particular.... particularlness.. 🤣🤣.... I had to kill some first!🤪

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve gotten SOMEWHAT accustomed to their.. particular.... particularlness.. 🤣🤣.... I had to kill some first!🤪
I'm still working on that part -- the getting accustomed, not the killing. (I hope!)

The two cuttings were taken inside, sulking at the cold
Sounds funny to me, here. I've still got time to pot mine -- although it is gradually becoming cooler. Only got to 89 or so today. 🙂 So there's hope of me being perkier & more productive.

Your progress is encouraging me --

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm still working on that part -- the getting accustomed, not the killing. (I hope!)

Sounds funny to me, here. I've still got time to pot mine -- although it is gradually becoming cooler. Only got to 89 or so today. 🙂 So there's hope of me being perkier & more productive.

Your progress is encouraging me --
Hehe! Reaalistically.. they COULD be outside.. it gets COLDER (by 3-5 degrees ‘round 2 AM) in my microclimate at this time of year.. aaand I just put together the two new indoor areas.. so I ALSO wanted to “test those waters”

But i’ve seen 44-degree nights already.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
But i’ve seen 44-degree nights already.
It was in the 60's here this morning and I thought it was cold! Grimmy, who had a very sophisticated indoor set up told me he lost many serissas until he let them get a good chill before bringing them inside.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup. 😔

I could wisecrack that I talked about the Halloween project, and the two little Kyotos decided to volunteer -- but I know I got "generous" with the water for just 2-3 days, with them STILL stuck in highly-organic material, and my beginner's luck ran out. 😬 One died weeks ago, and the other is still not-dead.

They were $7.99 each, and I bought them myself, but I liked them & it's still horrifying to see them going brown so abruptly and thoroughly...

The Cherry Blossom, meanwhile, has always been thirsty, all other factors being equal. It has buds...

Top Bottom