Seedlings planted through tiles

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That will depend how easily the conifer can produce new roots. I've used it (with sheet metal plates rather than ceramic tile) with Japanese Black pines. Started with 5 and ended up with 2 survivors but with great nebari. The other 3 did not put out enough new roots before they were strangled by the plates.
Should be fine with Juniper chinensis which roots quite easily so should be able to get plenty of new roots established in time.
Many pines should work but maybe not 100% survival rates because they are generally slower to root.
I have not tried it with cypress but most are grown commercially from cuttings and root relatively well so they should respond to this. Why not give it a go and let us all know the results?

I’ve got 10 Monterrey Cypress I germinated a couple months ago. Not exactly a large sample size but I think I’m going to try this with a few of them. That being said, since they were started inside they are a bit leggy. When I bring them outside and repot, if I plant the stem in soil up to the first set of leaves will the stem root out safely?

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I only skimmed over all the posts so forgive me if this was already mentioned.
I could not help but think about the engineered lumber (i.e. trex) that I used once to make raised beds. After a few years in direct contact with a high compost soil, when I dissembled the beds and rinsed off the boards, they still looked like new.
Has anyone tried using that? I could see drilling holes along a piece of fascia board (0.5" X 12") to plant multiple trees, or cutting it down into 12" squares. The stuff is not cheep, but it could last almost forever and far easier to work with than tile.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A diamond drill bit doesn't need to be expensive. Get one that fits a dremel tool and you can pick one up for a few dollars. Ditto with the hollow, round bits for larger holes. If you are only finding expensive ones you aren't looking in the right places. ;) I've picked up entire dozen piece sets for under $20. More if you buy large bits but still you should find them at reasonable prices. Works way better than a masonry bit which is slow and far more likely to break your tiles, especially if they are glazed. Ceramics are easy to drill if you have the right tools for the job. I've drilled a lot of porcelain and stoneware over the years. Masonry bits are far more suitable for drilling cement and brick than ceramic in my experience. Very blunt.

For example: Here's a set from Walmart, of the larger diameter hollow hole bits, a set for less than $10 : https://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Pack-...MIgNzG4IyA4QIVEbnACh3eOgIUEAQYAyABEgLK9fD_BwE

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I may end up porting this thread over to the maples forum and make it a progression thread, but here is an updated photo from a few days ago when I reduced a large root in preparation for some more serious root work next spring.

IMG_20190806_182940.jpgIMG_20190806_182806.jpg

Top Bottom