Seedlings/Saplings for little cost (I will pay shipping)

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hello everyone,

I am posting here as someone who has a very small bonsai collection, all of which are still in the developmental stage, and am looking to broaden my collection with some very young starters that I can work all the way up to mature trees over the course of my life.

I am looking to keep a small budget in doing so and was wondering if anyone had some propogated seedlings/cuttings/saplings that they wouldn't mind giving up at little to no cost. Maybe you have ten seedlings/cuttings and you really only care to keep 8 or 9 of, or something of the such. Looking for a little help in getting a starter collection going.

I will pay any shipping charges that apply to this and can pay through paypal or by mailed check. I can pay before the trees are shipped, gotta have a little trust to get a little trust. See below for species I would be interested in, in order from most to least:

Shishigashira Maple
Japanese Red Maple
Trident Maple
Shore Pine
Pinyon Pine
Japanese Black Pine (Any variety)
Ponderosa Pine
Limber Pine (Vanderwolf's Pyramid)

Thanks for any response, please let me know relative height of the little guys. Much appreciated. Happy Bonsai.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you are still interested to acquire by next spring, I will have dozens of Japanese black pine seedlings and trident maple seedlings available. They were germinated this spring and still need more time before being disturbed. The pines have had some root work early on so they will be good for shallow containers. I will start a second batch soon with more root cuttings this time and have some of those available if all goes well.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If you are still interested to acquire by next spring, I will have dozens of Japanese black pine seedlings and trident maple seedlings available. They were germinated this spring and still need more time before being disturbed. The pines have had some root work early on so they will be good for shallow containers. I will start a second batch soon with more root cuttings this time and have some of those available if all goes well.

Absolutely Zelk, how much do you figure you'll want for one or two of each? I'll do my best to remember to PM you around that time. it's still awhile away. lol

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Absolutely Zelk, how much do you figure you'll want for one or two of each? I'll do my best to remember to PM you around that time. it's still awhile away. lol
I had not thought too much about the price yet really. I think a few dollars per tree is fair, but I have no set price. Does 6 dollars per tree sound fair? I could sell even more for less if that is an option for you then. The trident maples will be taller than the pines but they grow faster. The pines will also be shorter because the terminal growth has been cut to force low branching. This way you're sure to get something that you can work with, not just for larger bonsai but shohin or mame.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I had not thought too much about the price really. I think a few dollars per tree is fair, but I have no set price. Does 6 dollars per tree sound fair? I could sell even more for less if that is an option for you then. The trident maples will be taller than the pines but they grow faster. The pines will also be shorter because the terminal growth has been cut to force low branching. This way you're sure to get something that you can work with not just for larger bonsai.

Sounds pretty fair to me. Considering you have to add the soil and have a container for them, as well as time spent this year working on them. In my opinion, paying that price is just right, and theres a bonus having them being in the hands of someone you know is propagating for bonsai. Also, the low branching decision was clutch. Even if they don't want a small tree, the lower branches can be sacrificial to grow the nebari larger quickly. I'll be sure to contact you sometime in February to set up everything so when it's warm enough to ship you can. What do you do to get dormancy in San Diego? Never gets cold enough.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I also have cuttings of ficus and several kinds of juniper like shimpaku, procumbens nana. I have Chinese elm, privet. These are currently available.

Send me a PM and I can share photos of these and any history on how long I've established them and under what conditions. I would really like to help you get to a good start with any started material I can provide. I've been in that situation and it was other bonsai people that helped me get away from poor nursery material.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I usually have starter stuff. None that you are looking for right now but keep looking. I do get these in from time to time.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also check International Bonsai in Rochester NY next winter. He always has seedings in winter/early spring of various species.

He ships starting in March and I believe it's a fairly short window. Order early he usually sells out.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Also check International Bonsai in Rochester NY next winter. He always has seedings in winter/early spring of various species.

He ships starting in March and I believe it's a fairly short window. Order early he usually sells out.
Will do. Thanks for the advice

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I usually have starter stuff. None that you are looking for right now but keep looking. I do get these in from time to time.

Is there a website of yours i can go to for information on when you get stuff in? Never hurts to promote to others

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone,

I am posting here as someone who has a very small bonsai collection, all of which are still in the developmental stage, and am looking to broaden my collection with some very young starters that I can work all the way up to mature trees over the course of my life.

I am looking to keep a small budget in doing so and was wondering if anyone had some propogated seedlings/cuttings/saplings that they wouldn't mind giving up at little to no cost. Maybe you have ten seedlings/cuttings and you really only care to keep 8 or 9 of, or something of the such. Looking for a little help in getting a starter collection going.

I will pay any shipping charges that apply to this and can pay through paypal or by mailed check. I can pay before the trees are shipped, gotta have a little trust to get a little trust. See below for species I would be interested in, in order from most to least:

Shishigashira Maple
Japanese Red Maple
Trident Maple
Shore Pine
Pinyon Pine
Ponderosa Pine

Thanks for any response, please let me know relative height of the little guys. Much appreciated. Happy Bonsai.
Heritage seedling is your best bet.
$.85 a plug for Trident liners this year!
If you want evergreens use Iseli nursery.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

These are awesome prices. Order form and availability is a bit confusing, but this is a great resource. Thank you very much.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

Iseli only dooes wholesale ordering to nurseries with a license and resale certificates. Wamp wamp.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everyone,

Shishigashira Maple
Japanese Red Maple
Trident Maple
Shore Pine
Pinyon Pine
Ponderosa Pine

arborday.com

10 Free trees every year. Many good bonsai choices...

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
arborday.com

10 Free trees every year. Many good bonsai choices...

Thats awesome. 15 bucks a year and ten free trees is crazy. Plus its a good cause. Thanks very much. Ten is a bunch for me this year. Not quite enough space for ten. Definitely next year. When i move in. To my own place ill be building my benches and filling them up

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Iseli only dooes wholesale ordering to nurseries with a license and resale certificates. Wamp wamp.
You are correct.
Heritage as well, they also have a minimum order.

Top Bottom