Seedlings, Suckers, Cuttings Collected From Parks/Greenbelts/Neighborhoods

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Someone said every great city has a great park. I’m lucky enough to live in the burbs where the city has left some wild lands. This thread is dedicated to small specimens you have collected as mentioned in the title. These are plants are not protected or endangered and may be considered a nuisance in your area. I have a few nuggets. For the fun of growing, prop, hort or future bonsai…..

In 10b we don’t have tons of pretty desciduous species. Always wondered what this was walking by a yellow ground carpet in the fall. About six months old.
Chinese Hackberry89EE00FB-BA1E-48AB-BA4D-DB04D3886057.jpeg6CFB516F-B997-4014-A613-2CC1692AC6E4.jpeg

Before water conservation was a thing here in the coastal desert, in the 1970s a park designer thought it cool to plant some sequoia sempervirens (coastal redwood). This was from a crown sucker which are removed every year by park personnel. About 2 years old.
6983D6A1-3E28-40A9-9B81-526ACB78AC50.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not a ton of collecting going on in the northern hemisphere right now. I'm sure we'll have something to share before long though.
I'm still on the hunt for a nice scrub oak, and maybe attempt some others as the weather begins to cool.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I look at it this way ; all my animals are rescues so I'm rescuing this wayward plant from a bad life and trying to help it out. I'm also helping the grounds keeper people out by removing something they would just cut down. I'm talking about small seedlings not big trees.
DISCLAIMER : please do not take plants with out permission from garden areas or greenspace areas.I have collected seeds from gardens just by asking ,usually with no problems.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We as bonsaist (keepers of tiny trees , I just made that up .lol) have been green activists for a whole lot longer (eons ) than these so called " green people " . We save trees all the time.
I've got my eye on some wayward zelkova elms that have come up under a downtown hedge row . I'll help the owner out by removing them before they create a nuscince for people walking by.
Just think we save the planet by not using weed killer. We remove the offending wayward plants. Lol

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unknown Prunus with small leaves, from a public hedge. Rooted, wired cuttings
prunus.jpg

Rooted cuttings from sprouted JM understock which I corrected for some lucky person. No need to thank me, I'm just selfless like that 😇
jm6.jpg
jm7.jpg

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The university has a bunch of different types of trees but the landscaping crew is pretty good at keeping up on mowing through the summer. Most seedlings get mowed down fairly quickly but early spring and fall you can find some late sprouts that were spared the blade.

Couple little Ulmus pumila I plucked last year.
20220813_131009.jpg20220813_131040.jpg
I normally ignore choke cherry seedling but this one was kind of cool.
20220813_131125.jpg
Little Prunus maakii from last year. These are one of the last trees to wake up in spring but this one took off when it did. I want more of these for the birch like copper colored bark but I've had no luck with seeds or cuttings.20220813_131951.jpg

Top Bottom