Seeds—how late is too late?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So this spring I planned to start a bunch of seeds. However my wife just inserted a one week trip into my shedule the end of June, so I won't be around that week for regular care. So it appears I need to delay planting until July 2-3. The good thing is the weather will be nice and warm by then so the seeds won’t need bottom heat outside. I am starting dawn redwood, pseudolarix, Jap larch, and tridents. Is July too late to start them?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nah, I think you're good. I did some late pines last year, they all seem to do fine with a short summer.
Sowing late can help you reduce the initial internode length. It can be a strategy even!

The only issue I see is that they might germinate in the fridge early, and you'll be planting seedlings instead of seeds. But that also depends a whole lot on the moment you start the cascade.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When you say starting them in July are you talking about planting the seeds or the seeds germinating? Planting seeds I think you would be pushing it as it could take a month or two for them to germinate. If they are germinating in July then I would say you have a chance for them to put on a couple true leaves before it's time for them to go dormant. You need to plan in reverse when planting seeds if stratifying in the fridge.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've started JBP seeds as late as late July with good results. Make sure you've properly stratified the seeds whenever you do plant... I know the tridents require 3-4 months for good germination rates

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, i plan to stratify on a schedule to take that into consideration. I just don’t want to have seeds germinating outdoors while I am gone or even worse have seedlings sticking up above soil level and have the soil dry out. I have read that the dawn redwood germinate best if soaked for about 5 days with no stratification. They were collected locally so may not be viable anyway. However the others are coming from Sheffield’s Seeds so I will still have plenty of time to get them in the fridge in advance of the desired planting date.

Top Bottom