Seeds, seedlings, or prebonsai for 6A

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi everyone,
Well I am quite new at this but motivated. Work from home type of guy, with a limited but dedicated space for bonsais

I live in Michigan, zone 6a, and I am looking for some seeds or even better, seedling, rooted cuttings or prebonsais. Please let me know what you might want to sell or get rid of. I am not rich, but fair wage for fair work

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You might start with prebonsai stock and get some satisfaction working with young stock.

Consider checking out the following sources:

1. evergreen garden works Inexpensive quality pre bonsai material here. Many of us have bought from Brent, including myself.

2. https://kaedebonsai-en.com/ Matt also has inexpensive prebonsai stock for sale too. Again, many of us have gotten material from Matt.

3. on F/B join the group 99 Cent bonsai. They have lots of prebonsai offerings for bid.

Good luck!
DSD sends

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is your request based on a personal desire to grow from seed?
Virtually anything that grows woody trunks and branches can be used for bonsai. Maybe check your local nursery or garden shop for their "ugly" trees on sale. Almost everything I've had any luck with was dug out of the yard.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Unfortunately I lack time to go around and find good material to dig... the nursery close to me is nice, but doesn’t carry bonsais besides a young few way over priced
I thought about buying a red Japanese maple to air layer, but couldn’t justify the $100+ for my first air layer!!

I am sure it happens that people want to reduce their collection, where space and time might be more important than price. That’s where I might be able to afford better than I can hope for at the moment

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The difference between good material and bad material is often just a matter of time and patience.
It's sometimes a weed tree I was removing anyway. Just use a shovel in stead of loppers and herbicide. I have a Siberian elm in a pot now that I literally just yanked out of a gap in the landscape rocks. I was tempted to take one of my mother in law's rose stumps the other day, but was certain it'd been out of the ground for too long

You're regular landscape and garden tree nursery will yield great starting material once you look at it the right way. Does it have an interesting trunk? That'll do. Worst case scenario, chop everything but the end and call it literati.

Hell, there's threads on here of people posting random stuff they stole from their neighbors' dumpster.

The point I guess is don't shop for bonsai. Shop for something that will be bonsai. This is very much a hobby that lends itself to the journey much more than the destination. Be proud of your hideous work in progress.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I collected about 30 trident maple seedlings 2 days ago. Since I started bonsai my mind works differently and I just stumble across material. I dont have a lot of money but I do have plenty of time 😁. Even non bonsai suitable species with large leaves and long internodes can still bring someone joy and teach valuable lessons. You might find some interesting seedlings weeding your garden. That's honestly how I got started.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Michigan Bonsai
I have tons of winged elm root cuttings, all sorts of sizes, the tallest being a couple feet tall. They are hardy down to zone 6.

They aren't much to look at and are spindly, but are thin enough to still bend with wire. Since they are root cuttings, they will have weird trunks and roots growing at weird angles.

They could be considered invasive in your area, but you are right on the cusp of their hardiness so maybe not.

I've never shipped trees before but I could give you a bunch for very cheap. I would have to bare root them and probably prune the roots some because I'm sure they have espaced their pots into the ground.

IMG_20210522_160809542.jpg
IMG_20210522_160837219.jpg

The roots were pruned from this tree:
IMG_20210522_160924847.jpg

lverdusco

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would second evergreen garden works I bought two JM last year for for the price it was a very good value. One of the local nurseries SE Michigan had Japanese maples half is developed for more money. I actually have two more on order from evergreen that will ship in June. Excited to see them...

Top Bottom