Seeing is believing, rings don’t lie!!

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I acquired a couple of cross-sections from some old trees. Mostly for the purpose of education and having some proof to show skeptics that some of these trees from the dry western United States are as old as we say they are.

I finally got my hands on the right kind of microscope to count these rings at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

420 year old RMJ to the widest live vein that grew. About 5 inches from center to edge.
3F602A49-2D29-4E41-89AE-58EB4C24988C.jpeg

760 years old on just a little of 4 inches...

28A6C2DD-F36B-408D-9117-3B18A960ECFB.jpeg

Here is a picture of a needle laying on the cross section and then the view through the microscope up on the monitor.

51DD5C4A-0D8F-4B43-86BD-A0788F6DE5AE.jpeg
F6898A68-3488-46DF-9314-4789DE28CD1C.jpeg

Just for reference the needle is very small, equal to the size of a push pin used in sewing. You can see a decade worth of rings the width of a needle.

No more disbelief at shows or in classes!!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's something, you wouldn't believe it without seeing it.
Thanks for sharing!

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I acquired a couple of cross-sections from some old trees. Mostly for the purpose of education and having some proof to show skeptics that some of these trees from the dry western United States are as old as we say they are.

I finally got my hands on the right kind of microscope to count these rings at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

420 year old RMJ to the widest live vein that grew. About 5 inches from center to edge.
View attachment 208809

View attachment 208810

Here is a picture of a needle laying on the cross section and then the view through the microscope up on the monitor.

View attachment 208811
View attachment 208812

Just for reference the needle is very small, equal to the size of a push pin used in sewing. You can see a decade worth of rings the width of a needle.

Where did you get these? I'm already anticipating an interior decorating argument with the wife!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 208809

View attachment 208810

View attachment 208811
View attachment 208812

Thank you, the facts are often stranger than fiction!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's fun to even see this. It's awesome to relate these rings to weather patterns in the past. From this picture alone, we could extrapolate a curve even! One that shows a few consecutive good years, followed by some bad years, followed by some good years again.
I don't know where this juniper is from, but the close-to-3-or-7-year patterns make me think it was close to areas influenced by Il Nino.

For the people loving this kind of stuff: you can get cheap USB microscopes from Ebay for roughly 15 bucks. It's not top notch stuff, but it's better than I expected it to be for that price.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Super cool information, thanks for sharing. And that first slab is spectacular, I bet it was a heck of a tree before it died.

Top Bottom