Seeking advice for Tucson, AZ newb

heatherfarris

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m new to this world and to Tucson. My husband gifted me a Bonsai hobby for Christmas because I have been talking about it for years.

After reading many threads I have found a local nursery to visit.

My first question is what type of trees can we grow here? I have found so many different tree varieties in other threads and I’m just really overwhelmed with all the varieties and then figuring out where to buy them.

I was gifted a kit but the seeds are going to take a while and I’d like to try to get my hands on a young starter tree perhaps. Something to get my feet wet but I’m also confused on wintering plants here.

I could use all the advice.

Tree varieties, where to buy them, when to buy them, can we grow them during the winter months or should they be dormant right now?

Thanks in advance.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings and Welcome aboard BonsaiNut.

It’s a great hobby to start and you are in a fun area for Bonsai!

Here’s a tree list from the Phoenix Bonsai Society

I’d say your best bet is to begin by checking out their site, especially the section on soil for Arizona Bonsais.

There is also a Tucson Bonsai Society you Chan check out. Yet Phoenix has a more robust set of resources on their site.

Hopefully @Arizona bonsai or @AZbonsai heresy BonsaiNut could be of service down the line.

Cheers
DSD sends

heatherfarris

Seedling
Reaction score
So I took a look at their content and I found dwarf Japanese juniper at Mesquite Valley. I’m bringing it home with me but I’m wondering if the soil they put it in is the right soil. It looks to be potting mix and they put rocks on top.

They also said to water it by putting it in your kitchen sink for an hour? Does that sound right?

So much to learn! Thank you for telling me about Phoenix Bonsai Society!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi. Welcome to the site and the wonderful world of bonsai. You found a great nursery there in Tucson. You have a fantastic source in your town that frequents this site let's see if we can get him to respond. Hey @AaronThomas

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They also said to water it by putting it in your kitchen sink for an hour? Does that sound right?
We do not normally water that way. You will more than likely need to repot it. It needs to be in good bonsai soil. You will need to hold off till about mid Feb. to do it. Here is a calendar of times to work on your bonsai in AZ that is pretty good. The PBS website has good information. For now, do not over water let the top portion dry out a bit in-between watering. 20201227_132732.jpg

heatherfarris

Seedling
Reaction score
So the nursery worker put it in a different pot today since the one I picked had a broken nursery pot. I should probably water it since it’s new soil and find a nice place for it outside.

What I have gotten here and read on the Phoenix Bonsai Society site goes against what she was telling us to do. Which is fine it’s a learning curve for everyone.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome!

One thing you can do to help facilitate advice is to take a photo of the entire plant & pot full frame and then one close up of the soil media so folks can see what you are dealing with.

Cheers
DSD sends

heatherfarris

Seedling
Reaction score
Awesome!

One thing you can do to help facilitate advice is to take a photo of the entire plant & pot full frame and then one close up of the soil media so folks can see what you are dealing with.

Cheers
DSD sends
That I can do! I’ve never used forums much so I’m new to this. I’ll do that now.

heatherfarris

Seedling
Reaction score
CE08E433-5FD8-4EAC-9F1A-2FDEEEF1EE56.jpeg
I’m not even sure if the pot is what it should be in. They have very little to choose from since Christmas shoppers hit them hard.

Attachments

• 73AD35E2-326F-48C8-BEFA-37A518F7A128.jpeg
    73AD35E2-326F-48C8-BEFA-37A518F7A128.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 15

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice. That’s the trick!

I’m no expert on Arizona media, but it looks to me that a complete soil change will be in order as @AZbonsai mentioned next spring. I’d follow the soil recommendations link unless otherwise directed by the AZ BonsaiNut folks.

The pot is nice as a trainer, yet biggish for my neck of the woods....ok for the short term.

btw You can try to Private Message your AZ Bonsai folks directly by double tapping their icons and tapping “Start a conversation “

Cheers
DSS sends

heatherfarris

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice. That’s the trick!

I’m no expert on Arizona media, but it looks to me that a complete soil change will be in order as @AZbonsai mentioned next spring. I’d follow the soil recommendations link unless otherwise directed by the AZ BonsaiNut folks.

The pot is nice as a trainer, yet biggish for my neck of the woods....ok for the short term.

btw You can try to Private Message your AZ Bonsai folks directly by double tapping their icons and tapping “Start a conversation “

Cheers
DSS sends
Thank you so much DSD!

Top Bottom