Seeking advice on air layering my maple!!!!!

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey all, so I have a Japanese Maple 'Shaina' that I would like to air layer at some point and have a few questions y'all might be able to help me out with.

1. So I have seen that the traditional method of air layering is to wrap the trunk with sphagnum, but I have been reading 'The Complete Book of Bonsai' in which the author mentions this method but suggests attaching a small plastic pot to the tree with some sort of soil, which the tree is already potted when you remove it. Does anyone feel strongly for either method? The most important thing for me is a successful air layer obviously

2. I have read that roots wouldn't start growing until the fall anyway... is this true? Or would it be a good idea to start on the air layer now? Because I would like to get it going asap.

3. Rooting Hormone!!!! Can anyone suggest a specific type, or even brand that is well suited for air layering? I know that there is liquid vs. powder?

4. I would appreciate any other advice I may be overlooking!!!

Thanks!

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Harry Harrington of Bonsai4me.com has a nice article that I followed recently to layer.He suggests to do it now in spring so there is a better chance of separating by end of growing season.Sorry I cannot make links.It is at the top of his updated article list as it was updated in May.A very good article and has pictures of layering a maple.He suggest ring bark just below an old node.I have also heard that just below a fork in the branch and old node is highly recommended too.Hope it works cause' I went out and bought a maple just for the purpose and made three layers on it.Word of caution,he does state that the red leaved cultivars can take very long to root.The greens can root in 6 weeks though.Maybe you can scour the nurseries for a good green cultivar.The first nursery I went to had a very nice 'ojishi' Japanese maple for $149. I hope it works well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I believe this is the article cmeg1 was talking about (Air layering starts on page 2 and continues until page 4).

Last edited:

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Harry Harrington of Bonsai4me.com has a nice article that I followed recently to layer.He suggests to do it now in spring so there is a better chance of separating by end of growing season.Sorry I cannot make links.It is at the top of his updated article list as it was updated in May.A very good article and has pictures of layering a maple.He suggest ring bark just below an old node.I have also heard that just below a fork in the branch and old node is highly recommended too.Hope it works cause' I went out and bought a maple just for the purpose and made three layers on it.Word of caution,he does state that the red leaved cultivars can take very long to root.The greens can root in 6 weeks though.Maybe you can scour the nurseries for a good green cultivar.The first nursery I went to had a very nice 'ojishi' Japanese maple for $149. I hope it works well.

Yea good luck with your maple! Well, I already have this guy so I may as well try an air layer out on it. I'd rather do it now, than shape it/fatten it up for a year or two just to have the air layer fail on me. Let's consider it an experiment!

cmeg, I had just one question... so I see that you've got a clear plastic bag on your maple for that air layer, but what is the purpose of the black plastic wrapped around it? To keep out light? To trap warmth?

Thanks again!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What's the purpose?

In Bonsai Masterclass,by Peter Chan,he sais' that professional propogaters surround the clear with the black.He then sais'' that he has found this unnecessary and just uses clear,but I just wanted to do all I can do.Yes it is to shade the roots.The huge piece is for photographic background purposes.
Hope all works with your maple.Harrington states that if you let a layer go into winter without severing from the tree it is primarily o.k cause' the roots just re- grow the following spring.

Last edited:

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I did my first airlayer on a korean hornbeam in the ground(8-10' tall and 2-3" trunk). This particular tree seems to be genetically superior to its companions, because it is 3-4 years from seed and its 3 times the size of the other 4 i planted. Hence, why i wanted to clone this one. I went with the pot+bonsai soil method over the plastic bag method. Followed the standard procedure of removing the cambium etc. I used a product called Rootech liquid cloning gel. I have used it before for cuttings and i like it. Well, I was curious to see if the airlayer worked, and the hornbeam has already produced roots! I would say it was 4-5 weeks from performing the airlayer to me checking this week. It should easily be ready for removal come fall.

Patrick

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pwk5017,wow that is very encouraging as I am using the same root gel on my 'ojishi' layers.I am about 2.5 weeks into it.The pot method does sound better cause I definately disturbed the gel when I was mounding the moss around the layers.That is amazing that the hornbeam is quick like that.I definately have to go scouting for some stock for next spring.I have about 6 nice Coreana's growing out in colanders,with you on the Korean hornbeam,good luck with yours.I know where I may get some big field grown Coreana's that might be ready this season for purchase.They would make great layering projects.

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The advantage of the pot over the moss is that you simply cut off the branch and leave it without further root disturbance. The moss & bag method is less labour intensive as it requires less watering than the pot method but you will have to sever, gently unwrap the root mass and pot into good bonsai medium when it's complete.

I've done layers on maples with & without rooting hormone - mine all took. I tend to tie a bin bag around the clear plastic package to exclude light.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Well, so the air layer was a failure, the whole top of the tree died. hahaha, live and learn. Though when I removed to plastic and sphagnum i did see some small root buds forming. I feel if I had approached the air layer with as much care and maintenance as possible it would have worked. But yes, I do believe air layering a JM 'Shaina' is a bit of a challenge.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
MUCH too late to start a layer on a maple up where you are. Do it in the spring. That's when they WANT to grow.

The pot and soil or the sphagnum and plastic wrap method both work. The plastic wrap may be a bit easier to do.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
But I've also read that roots will grow in the fall too. I think what really did it in was I was out of town for a few days and we had a few 90 degree days. When I got back all the leaves were shriveled and the soil was bone dry. Hahah. I'f I had watered it rigorously I'm pretty sure it would still be alive and kicking. And like i said it was showing signs of root growth. But hey! A worthy experiment nonetheless. I'll be more patient in waiting for the right time of season to do these things in the future!

Top Bottom