Seeking Advice: TinyRoots Bonsai Tools Kit

bonsguy

Seedling
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Bonsai tool kit for a beginner. I am overwhelmed by choice. Does anyone have suggestions?

I was looking at a 5 piece TinyRoots Bonsai Tools Kit to start: https://www.amazon.com/BonsaiOutlet-Tinyroots-Piece-Carbon-Pruning/dp/B077D2CJ8L#customerReviews. The tools are carbon steel, and I appreciate that they come in a solid case. I also like this it comes with a brush and wire.

The person I am buying this gift for is super excited about Bonsai and may get seriously into it, so I don't want to do him a disservice by gifting below-average tools. At the same time, this is the very beginning of his journey and I don't know if he'll stick with it. All he has so far is a tree.

Thanks in advance!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I am looking to buy a Bonsai tool kit for a beginner. I am overwhelmed by choice. Does anyone have suggestions?

I was looking at a 5 piece TinyRoots Bonsai Tools Kit to start: https://www.amazon.com/BonsaiOutlet-Tinyroots-Piece-Carbon-Pruning/dp/B077D2CJ8L#customerReviews. The tools are carbon steel, and I appreciate that they come in a solid case. I also like this it comes with a brush and wire.

The person I am buying this gift for is super excited about Bonsai and may get seriously into it, so I don't want to do him a disservice by gifting below-average tools. At the same time, this is the very beginning of his journey and I don't know if he'll stick with it. All he has so far is a tree.

Thanks in advance!
Seems like a nice starter kit, it has the essentials with a cool storage case. Reviews seem to be good as well.
I’d be happy to get this as a gift 4 years into my hobby. +Gotta start somewhere. 😄

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The tools you will probably use most often are:

(1) Bonsai scissors
(2) Concave cutters
(3) Knob cutters
(4) Pliers
(5) Wire cutters

To be honest, though I use "bonsai" pliers and wire cutters, there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, and flush cut wire snips from Home Depot. So I would focus on tools #1 - #3 on the list and get him something of fair quality - because he will want to get a little experience using tools before he expands his tool set. Many beginner sets don't include knob cutters... because they are the most difficult/expensive bonsai tool to make.

When I look at the tool kit you have linked it isn't what I would recommend for a beginner - I have never used a whisk broom, and the small amount of aluminum wire provided isn't even enough to wire one single tree. I think they just throw extras like that in to make you feel like you are getting more for your money. To give you an idea, here is what a 1kg spool of 1.5mm wire looks like... and it costs $20. You would probably want a tool roll instead of a case, as well.

bonsai-wire.jpg

This tool set looks perfect to me... but I can't recommend it personally (either good or bad) because I'm not familiar with the brand. Here is the link on Amazon... it gets mixed reviews. Some people didn't like the quality. If you wanted to take a risk it might be a good option. It includes all five of the tools I listed above.

71PVt2s+YsS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Conversely, you might (for the same price range) buy just a couple of tools, but have them be nicer tools. Wazakura is a good Japanese manufacturer, and they have a nice beginner set of good scissors and concave cutters. This way you'd be buying the two most important tools and know they would be great quality Japanese steel and would last.

61RlRJecIsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here is another tool set I found that may work...

Bonsai scissors, concave cutter, wire cutter, and tool roll for a similar price...

Last edited:

bonsguy

Seedling
Reaction score
Seems like a nice starter kit, it has the essentials with a cool storage case. Reviews seem to be good as well.
I’d be happy to get this as a gift 4 years into my hobby. +Gotta start somewhere. 😄
Thank you so much for weighing in! I have no idea what I'm doing.

bonsguy

Seedling
Reaction score

(1) Bonsai scissors
(2) Concave cutters
(3) Knob cutters
(4) Pliers
(5) Wire cutters

To be honest, though I use "bonsai" pliers and wire cutters, there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, and flush cut wire snips from Home Depot. So I would focus on tools #1 - #3 on the list and get him something of fair quality - because he will want to get a little experience using tools before he expands his tool set. Many beginner sets don't include knob cutters... because they are the most difficult/expensive bonsai tool to make.

When I look at the tool kit you have linked it isn't what I would recommend for a beginner - I have never used a whisk broom, and the small amount of aluminum wire provided isn't even enough to wire one single tree. I think they just throw extras like that in to make you feel like you are getting more for your money. To give you an idea, here is what a 1kg spool of 1.5mm wire looks like... and it costs $20. You would probably want a tool roll instead of a case, as well.

View attachment 464798

This tool set looks perfect to me... but I can't recommend it personally (either good or bad) because I'm not familiar with the brand. Here is the link on Amazon... it gets mixed reviews. Some people didn't like the quality. If you wanted to take a risk it might be a good option. It includes all five of the tools I listed above.

View attachment 464799

Conversely, you might (for the same price range) buy just a couple of tools, but have them be nicer tools. Wazakura is a good Japanese manufacturer, and they have a nice beginner set of good scissors and concave cutters. This way you'd be buying the two most important tools and know they would be great quality Japanese steel and would last.

View attachment 464800

Here is another tool set I found that may work...

Bonsai scissors, concave cutter, wire cutter, and tool roll for a similar price...
Hmm yeah, fewer tools at higher quality might be the way to go. I didn't know if a brush was commonly used or not....I just know his tree recently shed a lot haha. It's good to know that non-bonsai pliers and wire cutters work fine too.

In your opinion, what style of shears is best for a beginner? Here are two from Kaneshin to compare.

I am looking at this two piece Wazakura set like you recommended...the scissors seem more delicate than some shears out there, not sure if that matters: https://wazakurajapan.com/collectio...yasugi-steel-ashinaga-scissors-concave-cutter

Was thinking of pairing that set with some wire, since he already has a regular tool box with piers and a wire cutter.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a pair of the concave cutters in stainless steel. They're pretty decent quality for the price. No complaints so far.

I will say that a very large chunk of the price you'd pay for the set you linked to is really just for the fancy box. You can buy each of those tools individually at a better price.
As said before, the 2 most important are the scissors and the concave cutters, and the scissors don't need to be the traditional style there to do the same job just as well.

If you want to shop around a bit, check out Eastern Leaf and Stone Lantern. Wazakura I have no experience with, but a few folks here have reviewed them quite highly. Full disclosure, Wazakura does have a monetary association with this site, but again, I've heard nothing that should reflect poorly on either party. Excellent Japanese tools for excellent prices by all accounts.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Thanks in advance!
Personally i would be wary of tool bundles, especially on market place sites like amazon. These bundles tools are often subpar or padded with "extra" value that is either pointless or not really that useful for a beginner. Case in point Bonsai broom/brush in the tool kit is an example of something a beginner will nearly never use. Ie i'm now finnished my second year of bonsai and I am still to use a brush, but branch/concave cutter and scissors i use almost daily.

Personally i would follow BonsaiNut's advice and target the list of items he suggested that fits your budget.
You have to keep in mind that often beginners give up when the first enthusiasm ends or they loose a few trees, so keeping that in mind when buying tools, it is sad reality to keep in mind, In saying that going for the "best" brands might not be ideal or good for the finances.
You will need to consider different types of material tools are made off as well (stainless steel vs carbon steel) as the maintenance frequency and beginner abuse also differs.
So going for good Chinese brands like Roshi, Ryuga would be a good and cheaper starting point. Slightly pricier Japanese brand Kikuwa would also be great and then you can always go up a level for something like kaneshin if you feel like splashing out.
But better (more expensive) tools will not make you better at bonsai, i personally would appreciate the fact that you did the effort and research to get decent tools that make sense for a beginner

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am looking at this two piece Wazakura set like you recommended...the scissors seem more delicate than some shears out there, not sure if that matters: https://wazakurajapan.com/collectio...yasugi-steel-ashinaga-scissors-concave-cutter
The scissors you have linked should be more or less the same product. There are generally three styles of scissors in broad, medium and narrow. And they usually come in two sizes 7" and 8". It should not affect their functionality, but rather it depends on the work you are doing and how you like the feel in your hand, because you may be holding the same scissors for hours at a time. In general, steel machine forged tools will be cheapest, followed by cheap stainless, expensive stainless, and hand forged Japanese steel. However you don't need the world's most expensive tools to be successful. I use long handled 8" stainless scissors probably more than all my other tools combined, and I own two pair in case I break one. I also own a pair of quite expensive Mazakuni azalea bud scissors that I take very good care of and are sharper than a razor... but use 1/100th as often and freely admit are an indulgence.

The one thing I will say is that good tools will last much longer than cheap ones, and they will often yield better results because they will fit better, and be sharper. You want the tool to cut, not crush, the plant fibers. Stainless will often stay sharper longer, but they are more difficult to re-sharpen.

Finally, it is rare but in case you run into it you want "twig" scissors, not bud or flower scissors. Twig scissors are heavier and thicker than the other two. I almost never see the term used outside of Japanese tools, but you may run into it in Japan where similar tools are also used for flower arranging/ikebana.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Full disclosure, Wazakura does have a monetary association with this site, but again, I've heard nothing that should reflect poorly on either party.
So you don't know me, and don't know the tools, but that doesn't stop you from disparaging both. Great.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would say for a starter kit the price is not that bad... if your budget allows I would suggest buying separate tools. As a beginner, you really don't need bonsai scissors, and decent quality pruner will work, with that said, it is nice to have. The one tool I would definitely recommend, it a concave cutter, but not the one with a straight edge. Buy the one with a rounded edge, it will do the work of two tools. A concave and a knob cuter. I used regular cable cutters for a while, including a cable nipper for small gauge wire. I recently bought a wire cutter like the one you posted above but stainless steel, only use it to cut wire that is close to the tree trunk.

So from Bonsainut's list...

(1) Bonsai scissors - optional, from this link the snips are great, the combo with the bypass pruners will be better
(2) Concave cutters
(3) Knob cutters -
this you can have with one single tool I'm sure you can find one cheaper... and I wish Wazakura had one available.
(4) Pliers - any plier will work.
(5) Wire cutters - any wire "FLUSH" cutter will work as a starting point, flush cut usually have a nicer edge.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So you don't know me, and don't know the tools, but that doesn't stop you from disparaging both. Great.
I'm not disparaging anyone. Just thought it important to be up front about it. From everything I've heard about wazakura so far you made a good call partnering with them, and I know you well enough to know you didn't go into it lightly.
I feel that one should always be completely open about such associations. If both parties are producing high quality work - which by all accounts you are - there's no reason not to be publicly proud of it. It shows your trust in the product, and having a high quality product available through your site shows that they trust you.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not disparaging anyone. Just thought it important to be up front about it. From everything I've heard about wazakura so far you made a good call partnering with them, and I know you well enough to know you didn't go into it lightly.
I feel that one should always be completely open about such associations. If both parties are producing high quality work - which by all accounts you are - there's no reason not to be publicly proud of it. It shows your trust in the product, and having a high quality product available through your site shows that they trust you.
It's not "available through the site". I am not a bonsai tool retailer. It is an affiliate link, just like I have had affiliate links for Amazon in the past. If someone clicks on the link and buys something, the site gets some money. If someone clicks on a Google ad link, the site gets some money. That means if Superfly Bonsai (for example) advertises on the site and you click their link, the site will get some money. If someone even views a Google ad, the site gets some money. It is the only way I cover the thousands of dollars of annual costs for the site. You apparently have no problem visiting this site, for free, and questioning what is done to cover costs. Here I was getting excited about having some fun contests and tool giveaways, and the next thing I know I have someone questioning my motives. Heaven forbid I mention any other brands or products on this site; I'm clearly only doing this for the money. Ridiculous - and offensive.

There are a ton of people in this community that generously donate significant time and effort in supporting the art of bonsai in this country. When I think of the trees I could have owned for the time and money I have sunk into this site, I get sad. But then I meet some amazing people through the site... and it all becomes worth it again. @Adair and I were talking about this very subject at the show on Saturday. Perhaps that is why he doesn't post here so often any more.

Last edited:

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't see the need to post the "full disclosure." Especially since there is a thread where Bnut clearly states to use his link to buy so that money can be generated to help maintain the website. Also, there is no mark-up by using that link, it is the same price as in Amazon, except that the small amount that the site could be getting by the purchase is then given to Jeff Bezos.... not like he needs any more money.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@bonsguy Another nice gift for someone starting out is a tool bag. I keep my tools in a roll in my tool bag, but some people like the convenience of the ones with lots of pockets to keep your tools organized...

tool-bag.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't see the need to post the "full disclosure." Especially since there is a thread where Bnut clearly states to use his link to buy so that money can be generated to help maintain the website. Also, there is no mark-up by using that link, it is the same price as in Amazon, except that the small amount that the site could be getting by the purchase is then given to Jeff Bezos.... not like he needs any more money.
I just thought it was appropriate since I'm of the understanding that OP is new to the site and only here for someone else's sake. They likely aren't exploring its content too deeply, and wazakura was specifically brought up.

@Bonsai Nut , I'm not questioning anything you do to manage the site. You do a damned fine job, and I trust you to keep doing a damned fine job.
I've run into enough shady salesmen hocking utter junk they get a kickback from that it's become a sore spot for me. I didn't want to feel like you were doing anything that might give someone the impression you could be one of them. I respect the work you do here too much.
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks of it that way. Whichever way, I'm sorry if I unintentionally insulted you. It was not my intention.

Top Bottom