Seeking Big Tuna Mugo Pine pre-bonsai advice

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm trying to decide whether to keep this Pinus Mugo as a two trunk style, -or chop one side off, leaving enough branches to create some jin, then tilt it on its side to make an informal upright. Thoughts?
I won't repot it until next summer but from what I've read I believe it's safe to do some preliminary styling now.
IMG_2469.JPGIMG_2476.JPGIMG_2478.JPGIMG_2472.JPG

Last edited:

john blanch

Yamadori
Reaction score
Cascade comes to mind. One trunk to make the apex and the other for the cascading canopy.
The thinner branches would easily take shape.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Disclaimer* I am still developing my eye for styling, so take this advice as a grain of salt. I have read that when doing a twin trunk you want to avoid anything that looks like a slingshot. I vote chop

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So how would one go about adding movement to these trunks. I like the idea of a cascade.

I wonder if anyone can answer this? Can you get back budding if you trim back branches on a mugo pine? Also, would that save a dolphin or two?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So how would one go about adding movement to these trunks. I like the idea of a cascade.

I wonder if anyone can answer this? Can you get back budding if you trim back branches on a mugo pine? Also, would that save a dolphin or two?
If removing both trunks just above first branches change of direction already added(movement). Thinner remaining branch(es?)much easier to wire/bend as desired. If doing Cascade will need to pick one trunk to keep. Do not believe Mugo backbud well. Perhaps will but only where needles growing☺️ .

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mugo can bud on older (2-6 years) wood if that wood is exposed to enough sunlight. Not very reliably and it can take a year or two, but they can.

A twin trunk poses double the possibilities but also double the difficulties. I'd go with removing one of the two.
In pines I prefer keeping the smaller branches as opposed to the larger ones, because they elongate and backbudding isn't always reliable. Starting with something small aids a lot in scale reduction.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I couldn’t decide what to do with it….so I planted it my garden for the winter and stared at it longer. Now that the snow is finally melting I’ll probably stare at it some more. Lol. When the time is right I think I’ll chop it down to just a couple branches and let it develop. I still like the idea of it being a twin trunk style. I love the trunk on this tree and think it’ll have a really beautiful nebari. I’m going to be patient. I’ll no doubt be asking for more advice as time goes on. Thanks for asking.

Top Bottom