Seeking Jin Advice

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seeing Bonsai Nut's excellent photo essay on creating a jin inspired me to post a juniper I bought last week. As the photos illustrate, when I repot this tree, I will angle it in such a way that there will be a significant stump to the right of the new main trunk. It seems like a good opportunity to practice a jin since I can cut it off if I don't like it.

The photos (which may be or might not be in proper sequence) show the tree as bought at the nursery, the intial pruning, and the tree with the new angle.

All advice sought, a lot.

Attachments

• juniper 1.28.06 009.jpg
    juniper 1.28.06 009.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 28
  • juniper 12.28.06 012.jpg
    juniper 12.28.06 012.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 38
  • juniper 1.2.07 001.jpg
    juniper 1.2.07 001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Barry,
At the moment you only have that one trunk to jin so I would go for it little by little until you think it look in sink with the rest of the tree. How tall are you expecting the tree to be in the final composition?

Was there a reason that you cut the right side and not the left?
Keep us updated on this one Barry. You have my email ;-)

A Friend in bonsai
John

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Barry,
At the moment you only have that one trunk to jin so I would go for it little by little until you think it look in sink with the rest of the tree. How tall are you expecting the tree to be in the final composition?

Was there a reason that you cut the right side and not the left?
Keep us updated on this one Barry. You have my email ;-)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Thanks for the nice note, John. In response to your questions: I don't expect it will be much taller than it is now (about 20 inches). I chose to keep this trunk because it has better movement (now well documented in the photo) and more taper.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
If it were me I would carve some of the reverse taper that is around the stubs 2/3 the way up the future jin... I would also take a drill bit and hallow out the stubs that are left then carve on them. Remeber to split the ends then rip the wood back and off to help give it a natural apperance like John suggested.
Once you have the jin the way you want it I would highly suggest burning it with a propane torch until it is pretty chared. Once it cools using a wire bruch on a dremel or die grinder clean most of the burnt wood. This will give an aged look right away and after a few years exposed to the elements is will look very natural and old. This past week I have done a bunch of jin work and will try to get pictures to post soon.

Keep us posted on this tree and the outcome of the jin.... you are off to a pretty good start!
Also, can you carve a little movement into the jin to mimic the remaining trunk? You could always wire it after you burn it too..... just a thought!

Jason

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were me I would carve some of the reverse taper that is around the stubs 2/3 the way up the future jin... I would also take a drill bit and hallow out the stubs that are left then carve on them.

Jason

What is the purpose of hollowing out the stubs?

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
It just adds the illusion of age to the dead wood. Thats all. In most cases it is pretty cool and not something that you see everyday..... If there is a stub that you plan to get rid of anyways go ahead and try it on that one to see if you like it or not.

Jason

Top Bottom