Seeking knowledge about Chinese Elms being grown out in the ground in zones 5a to 6a.

Lovatoj44

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Greeting and salutation all.
I am wanting to grow a Chinese Elm out in the yard (according to the USDA website my zip code is supposed to be 6a), with a mulch layer to winterize, however I am hesitant to do so and am seeking out others with some experience good or bad. According to the USDA plant data base Chinese Elms are hardy in zones 5-9, so I believe that the tree should be alright, assuming I am able to winterize properly. Basically, I was wondering if there were any other Chinese Elm owners out there who are located in Colorado, or in zones 5a-6a that have experience with growing Chinese Elms in the ground year round, and if the trees were indeed able to survive the winter, and possibly what overwintering techniques were used.

Thanks in advance.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My bonsai book sais' Chinese elm is zone hardy down to 4 or 5.it is important that it is the hardier rougher bark ones cause' there is a smoother bark one sold as ulmus parvifolia that is like an indoor tree type.I have a yatsubusa one that is tough as nails.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 53

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I wouldn't see any issues with growing it in the ground. You will probably want to protect it from the wind though.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Laceark grounded

I grow my Lacebark Elm right in the ground year-round. Zone 5. West Michigan. I have not had any problems and we get some fairly harsh winters here. No specific treatment really.

Top Bottom