Seeking Pyracantha direction advice

BigC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Hi,
From a total Bonsai Novice, on the path to collecting a few beginner rated trees, arming myself with some basic (mid-range) tools and an appetite to learn.
I recently purchased this little pyracantha whilst trawling the garden centres for some workable material to practice on.
I don't know why just like the look of it.
But now I need some inspiration and advice on its care and more importantly its styling potential.
I hate the pot with a vengeance so ignore that aspect
Can you point me in the right direction with this little plant?
Go easy.
Pyracantha.jpg
Regards
C

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I’d thin it out a bit and try wire some movement into those long canes while they’re still relatively flexible. Try eliminate branches where there are 2 or more coming out the trunk at the same spot.

897286C3-CA5E-41F0-936C-CC24CF3778C2.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Welcome to bonsai.
You now need to decide whether to grow little sticks in pots or trees that look like old trees in pots.
Any little tree kept in a small pot will still be a little tree years from now. Most of us put our little trees into bigger pots or in the garden to encourage the trunk to grow and thicken until it does look like a thick, old tree trunk then grow some branches and put it into a pot after that.

@SeanS has good advice if you are happy with a small stick bonsai. Just keep trimming any long shoots and get rid of opposite branches where possible. Water when needed, fertilise regularly and repot next spring when you have a pot you like better.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

BigC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Thank you for your replies.
This Pyracantha as with all my 5 trees thus far are nothing special, if fact most if not all would not be considered Bonsai in the eyes of the purists.
Rogues, freebies, cheapos and rescue attempts, just about sum things up lol
That aspect of purchasing a relatively expensive pre-styled tree will be some way down the road yet.
In the meantime I'm in a learning process, picking up pieces of material here and there that take my fancy.
Some I will use to practice wiring, some I will stick in larger pots to see if I can get something better from it, some I will cut, snip and chop as I learn what is good and what is not so good.
My trees will never be prize winners, show stoppers, or may even look darn right ugly in the eyes of the aficionado/Bonsai master.
I don't think I will ever achieve that level of excellence for besides I don't have enough lifespan left hahahaha
What I want is a few trees that will complement a small Japanese themed pond area in my garden. I wont be a huge collector.
But what I do finally amass I want to be able to, with some competency, look after them to the best of my ability (with the help of others I might add)
The Pyracantha is small, in all respects. It will be going into a larger pot for sure.
I was just seeking out some possibilities for this small subject even if it will have to remain Shohin in size.
Once again I thank you for your input thus far
Regards
C

Top Bottom