Seeking suggestions about substrate and fertilizer

Reaction score
Hi all! I would very much like to eventually develop a custom mixture for substrate, and maybe even fertilizer, but for the moment I would really appreciate suggestions for pre-made or otherwise. Of course, I would hate to steal anyone's secret formula (though volunteered info is not stealing ;)

Keep in mind, that I've started pre-bonsai in 10" pots, outdoors, in So Cal (near the beach so it doesn't get very hot often) in terra cotta pots with good drainage (black lava rocks underneath and in the bottom of pots) So I would like to ask advice such as: favorite pre-made Bonsai mix, best general (outdoor) potting soil, other useful substrate (i.e. Orchid mix), as well as any elements of custom mixture one might wish to share, or any particular 'secret' ingredients. Also, what are some suggestions about most effective fertilizers, administered in various ways (granules, watering solution, foliar feeding, etc. I would like to add that rapid growth is a priority, though I'd much rather err on the side of caution while pushing development, if that makes sense...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm making coffee. This is like soil war under disguise.
I'll fire the first salvo to get us started in this festive activity.
NAPA oil dry 8822 is the best.
or Is it pumice?
Or Akadama.
You gotta go full inorganic...

Care for a cup of joe anyone?
All kidding aside, there is no definitive answer for what you ask.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If Cost isn’t an issue, I’d suggest Boon’s mix. Akadama, pumice and Black lava.
Great stuff for a wide variety of species.

Since I’m not rich, I mix up a ‘Poor mans’ Boons mix. Napa 8822, pumice, perlite, and whatever crushed lava I can find at a good price.
I’ll add in some calcined clay and pine bark for more water retention.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The thing I've learned about soil is that it needs to retain space for oxygen. Most organics break down to the point of being oxygen deficient. Boon recommends 1:1:1 Lava, Akadama, and Pumice, ...and in a 5 gallon bucket of the previous three in equal portions, a cup of charcoal and a cup of decomposed granite. If you can't find one part of the big-3 components, substitute one (or both) of the others. The part that may not be obvious (or wasn't to me for a while) is the importance of irregularity of shape in the particles. That's what creates space for the oxygen mentioned earlier. Boon's mix allows for that.

There's also need to acknowledge that lots of pre-bonsai are grown using soil that isn't conducive to refinement, but does speed development. Consider where your trees are when selecting soil also.

People seem to have very strong opinions about soil. Find someone with amazing trees. (You're new. They're all going to be amazing. Make sure you look around.) Duplicate their soil as best as you're able.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A “custom mix” for each particular tree is the method I use.

I use the components akadama, pumice, and lava in various proportions and sizes depending on the tree.

A very large ponderosa pine will get 1:1:1 in the sizes 1/8”-1/4”.

While a Shohin juniper might get 3:1:1 in 1/16”-1/8” or a Shohin maple might get all akadama.

These ingredients allow you to customize a mix that will work well for any tree. Sifting screens are a necessity.

Another key component is spaghnum moss for top dressing. The surface of the soil needs a top dressing to help regulate the moisture level in the water column of the container.

Fertilizers - Biogold pellets and Natures Harvest fish and seaweed liquid applied spring-fall.

That’s my system in a nutshell.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
A “custom mix” for each particular tree is the method I use.

I use the components akadama, pumice, and lava in various proportions and sizes depending on the tree.

A very large ponderosa pine will get 1:1:1 in the sizes 1/8”-1/4”.

While a Shohin juniper might get 3:1:1 in 1/16”-1/8” or a Shohin maple might get all akadama.

These ingredients allow you to customize a mix that will work well for any tree. Sifting screens are a necessity.

Another key component is spaghnum moss for top dressing. The surface of the soil needs a top dressing to help regulate the moisture level in the water column of the container.

Fertilizers - Biogold pellets and Natures Harvest fish and seaweed liquid applied spring-fall.

That’s my system in a nutshell.
This is what I aspire to do.
Once you understand your species, you can adjust your main components to satisfy.
👍

Reaction score
Thank you all so very much! That is a lot of information to work with 🙏 Of course I should’ve phrased it differently than “best” lol
I guess what I should’ve asked is, as a beginner, who has got slightly carried away ordering a few or so plants from Etsy lol, and they are on the way, so I need a simple solution for the moment, what would you guys recommend for a general pre made brand of Bonsai Mix and a Fertilizer… just to get started with? If it’s a little expensive that’s okay, because I will do the research in the coming days (thanks of course to suggestions like yours) to learn how to mix my own.
Though of course I can analyze possibilities based on your info and further research, may not have much time to prepare for my plants to arrive lol
So any suggestions for a beginner, high quality but not super expensive, pre made mix and liquid fertilizer, would be greatly appreciated as well! 😊

Reaction score
Thank you all so very much! That is a lot of information to work with 🙏 Of course I should’ve phrased it differently than “best” lol
I guess what I should’ve asked is, as a beginner, who has got slightly carried away ordering a few or so plants from Etsy lol, and they are on the way, so I need a simple solution for the moment, what would you guys recommend for a general pre made brand of Bonsai Mix and a Fertilizer… just to get started with? If it’s a little expensive that’s okay, because I will do the research in the coming days (thanks of course to suggestions like yours) to learn how to mix my own.
I mean I’ve been researching Bonsai day in and day out for a couple weeks, but got to the mix a bit late for my situation lol
Though of course I can analyze possibilities based on your info and further research, may not have much time to prepare for my plants to arrive lol
So any suggestions for a beginner, high quality but not super expensive, pre made mix and liquid fertilizer, would be greatly appreciated as well!

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is what I aspire to do.
Once you understand your species, you can adjust your main components to satisfy.
👍
I will pursue that course 😊
So I saw some nice pre made bonsai mix. The thing is, my nursery I purchased from, which is very well known, uses a basic substrate somewhat like a cactus mix. So for now I’m thinking to just use cactus mix and perlite.

Might this work well? What about one or all of these: inexpensive Akadama substitute, Pumice, and fine lava rock? Anything else I should add, or subtract? I would like to work my way to a mix with way more aeration that the nursery mix. I imagine their huge collection doesn’t allow for that with constant watering and frequent fertilization??

Reaction score
I will pursue that course 😊
So I saw some nice pre made bonsai mix. The thing is, my nursery I purchased from, which is very well known, uses a basic substrate somewhat like a cactus mix. So for now I’m thinking to just use cactus mix and perlite.

Might this work well? What about one or all of these: inexpensive Akadama substitute, Pumice, and fine lava rock? Anything else I should add, or subtract? I would like to work my way to a mix with way more aeration that the nursery mix. I imagine their huge collection doesn’t allow for that with constant watering and frequent fertilization??
p.s. the cactus mix I speak of, which resembles my nursery's mix, is Miracle Gro cactus and succulent & citrus. And I forgot, that I've already ordered some pumice as well. Is pumice more advantageous than perlite in general, or is there a purpose to use both? And what about the Cheaper Akedama substitute, and lava rock? (crushed to what size). Thanks again folks!

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
what would you guys recommend for a general pre made brand of Bonsai Mix and a Fertilizer… just to get started with? If it’s a little expensive that’s okay, because I will do the research in the coming days (thanks of course to suggestions like yours) to learn how to mix my own.
Superfly professional/Boon mix, available @ superflybonsai.com and amazon.

Catagonia

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m using cactus soil for my plants while I let them grow (or chill) in random pots over the winter but need to figure this out before I repot them into semi-permanent training pots.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect the soil to be so expensive and such a hassle to source. The local big box stores don’t carry pumice and their price to special order it is equivalent to Amazon (here in Sacramento CA).

I suppose I should ask about local sources at a bonsai club. I plan to join one in January.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have a clue what Miracle Gro cactus soil is. As others say here is pretty simple, it needs to retain enough water and drain well enough to ensure aeration.
For fertiliser, just use the basic fertiliser (with micronutrients) from your local grocery/DIY-shop/nursery. In the end it's just a plant.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you planning on repotting them as soon as you receive them? Perhaps they could stay in the soil they are in until you have time to research and find a good substrate for your needs, trees and climate. And in general winter is a bad time to do repotting. I would ask around at your local club, as they will have specific information for you.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I purchase individual components from
http://www.bonsaijack.com (no akadama for sale there)
and tweak them according to species.
Akadama has been very difficult to find this past year. Fortunately, I've
been using BJ's Monto Clay instead over the last 2 or 3 years, so that
has not affected my mix at all. The NAPA 8822 I used stayed soggy, is very fine
compared to the other components I use, so my neighbor who has a garage
got my bag of oil dry for its intended purpose. It is hazardous to breath the dust anyway being DE.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
p.s. the cactus mix I speak of, which resembles my nursery's mix, is Miracle Gro cactus and succulent & citrus. And I forgot, that I've already ordered some pumice as well. Is pumice more advantageous than perlite in general, or is there a purpose to use both? And what about the Cheaper Akedama substitute, and lava rock? (crushed to what size). Thanks again folks!
I’ve used that cactus mix before. I think I bought it the first time I wanted to repot something. It will do the job, but the particles are too fine. Also there is a fair amount of organic material. Adding coarse perlite would be a good idea.

Like @JudyB noted, you can probably not repot anything now, wait till the appropriate time and use good substrate then.

Top Bottom