Seeking Tips about Growing from Seed

Reaction score
So I am growing a pretty large number of seeds. I have done a lot of research, and I have a few questions...

Is it advisable and/or necessary, in all cases, to disinfect all seeds, with for example, a dilute bleach solution. If advisable to sterilize, is there a better option than bleach?

Should I use my Clonex Solution, which is intended to boost seedling growth? I have read on the forum that something like this might dwarf the plants, ultimately. This may have been discussing something else, not the Clones Solution. (The Clones Solution and not the cloning gel, Solution intended use for starting seeds and not just aeroponics cloning machines)

Should the seedlings indoor under lights always be covered by the clear cover? Or can I remove when humidity is sufficient? I ask because I am wondering, does the cover admit full light? Should I even consider using a humidifier in a room, so I can have the lids off?

When do you know that a plant is ready to be moved outside? I've read that the first pair of leaves are called false, and the second set of leaves indicates readiness to transport outside. I would imagine this is not the same for every species?

Finally, once you do move the seedlings outside, is it not necessary to grow them in some sort of portable greenhouse, if we do not own a greenhouse, yet lol!

Thanks in advance! :)

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sterilization is not needed uner normal circumstances and Clonex sounds like a scam.
Seedllings know how to grow, you do not have to tell them, just give the proper circumstances. Whether you need a cover depends on where you grow them. I do not like a cover as it stops airflow and causes fungal growth.

About moving outside. Most seeds do germinate outside. THe false leaves are cotyledons and some plants have these and other not. General rules like this are not useful, it depends on species and conditions (is it a tropical species and still freezing outside? is it spring and a native species?) I do not know where you read that but stop reading it.

Keep it simple!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The world would be a very barren place if seeds needed all that help just to get started?????

Trust that most plants know how to grow. Most have been doing it for millions of years without any help.
I cannot see why plants in California climate need to be started indoors? You don't already have a long enough growing season?

There are some species that have specific germination requirements. I've never seen the clonex solution you mention. It may be useful to some specific species but most will germinate quite happily when moisture and warmth are supplied and that happens outdoors in spring. If you have specific species questions please let us know but otherwise sow outdoors and protect from seed eaters and wait for nature to take its normal course.
Indoor germination adds a whole layer of complexity and problems that are not necessary.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most of my experience with starting from seeds is with vegetable gardening, but in general seed is seed.
In this case I've rarely not had luck getting healthy starts just buy planting them in well drawing but moist soil in flats or cups with drain holes. I haven't seen much benefit in the peat pots.

I've not used covers in the past, but I can see the potential benefit for some species. I would take it off and provide ventilation once you see plenty of sprouts so they don't damp off.

The proper time to transplant is when there is sufficient root ball to support the plant. Because we can't always tell if this is the case without risking moving the roots too early, three sets of leaves is generally a good indicator. By the time you're to that stage codileton (sp?) or the false leaves, aren't part of the equation.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I couldn't agree to more with the indoor complexities being unnecessary.

The only reason we start veg indoors early is because we need them to get to a place in one year.

Starting trees indoors is always a detriment to healthy, tightnoded, first growth, which is paramount to a future bonsai IMO.

Most seeds that "need" something really just need more time in the ground, I'd allow this natural thing to spread out your endeavor, so you can remain focused.

Sorce

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What type of seeds are you planning on planting? It really depends a lot on that and since you're in CA you may not get the natural seed stratification required in some types of seeds and may need to cold stratify in the fridge.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with all the advice here . Living in the cold north I have In the past . Started indoors gave all the problems listed above. End result you might get better first year growth . But it’s like they sulk the second year so after 2 years you gain nothing over starting outside . My problem had always been rodents and birds . Go after anything they can eat in early spring . Squirrels will dig up any nut like seed . And I think there attracted to anything not native . Different smell I suppose . In the past I’ve used homemade. Chicken wire inclosure for the seed trays once they get a wood stem and other stuff is around to eat it’s safe to bring them out . But gave no idea in California . But I’ll trade you next year you come up here cold stratify your seeds naturally I’ll go there for the winter 😂😂😂😂😂

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I am growing a pretty large number of seeds. I have done a lot of research, and I have a few questions...

Is it advisable and/or necessary, in all cases, to disinfect all seeds, with for example, a dilute bleach solution. If advisable to sterilize, is there a better option than bleach?

Should I use my Clonex Solution, which is intended to boost seedling growth? I have read on the forum that something like this might dwarf the plants, ultimately. This may have been discussing something else, not the Clones Solution. (The Clones Solution and not the cloning gel, Solution intended use for starting seeds and not just aeroponics cloning machines)

Should the seedlings indoor under lights always be covered by the clear cover? Or can I remove when humidity is sufficient? I ask because I am wondering, does the cover admit full light? Should I even consider using a humidifier in a room, so I can have the lids off?

When do you know that a plant is ready to be moved outside? I've read that the first pair of leaves are called false, and the second set of leaves indicates readiness to transport outside. I would imagine this is not the same for every species?

Finally, once you do move the seedlings outside, is it not necessary to grow them in some sort of portable greenhouse, if we do not own a greenhouse, yet lol!

Thanks in advance! :)
Old thread, but i think its useful to add some things i've learned from experimenting growing some trees from seeds.

So i'm adding some of my learnings here

So it's true that information required for growing seed is species depended, growing local is ideal, but if you are like me, the list of local trees that make good bonsai is short, mainly because very few have been tried, but mostly because a large number of them "don't make good bonsai", read that as they are very challenging for a beginner. So for example i tried growing some blue jacaranda trees (not indigenous) but they grow like weeds where i live. Take away, if you grow something like this, you basically don't have to put much thought in it.

Growing medium wise, I have with my limited experiments, that the lighter and more free draining the better. So using straight potting soil does not seem to work well, but reducing it to a 50/50 split with pumice/perlite substantially increases the odds. A seedling mix i've been trialing lately is a 50/50 split perlite/vermiculite, which seem to be producing the best results, but i don't have enough attempts to advise it with 100% confidence yet.

Terrarium/Mini greenhouse do wonders with keeping humidity up and when done wright helps with not over watering seedlings

Growing seed in a tray and in the ground, is two different things, so letting nature run it course, is not a good idea in a artificial setting. In other words i left trays with seed in direct sunlight and i basically cooked the seed. This was only realized after opening the Mini greenhouse lid to be hit by steam in the face. So keep those seed trays in shade until the seedling start developing some leaves and even then, full sun is not advised.

But the best tip all, is how fresh the seeds are. If you have guaranteed fresh seeds, your results will be much better than stored seed. I recently planted some Brazilian leopard trees (looks similar to Brazilian rain trees) which I literally picked the seedpods from the ground as they where falling off. Almost every seed took and now i have about a 100 seedlings which i do not have room for :'(

Top Bottom