Seiju elm nursery find, good potential?

invaderzim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was in the area and stopped by a local nursery and was looking around and found these Seiju elms that they had on final clearance. Generally speaking for nursery material, it looked great to me and started to get some really nice bark, but it had some pretty noticeable reverse taper. I wanted to see what you all thought and if it was worth getting and working on.

20230216_113502 - Copy.jpg20230216_113522 - Copy.jpg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know a lot of people root cuttings with high success. I’d imagine you can do a ground layer and have a clump. That much reverse taper is a turn of to me.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was in the area and stopped by a local nursery and was looking around and found these Seiju elms that they had on final clearance. Generally speaking for nursery material, it looked great to me and started to get some really nice bark, but it had some pretty noticeable reverse taper. I wanted to see what you all thought and if it was worth getting and working on.

View attachment 472725View attachment 472726
careful, it looks like theyre missing a few plates of bark under the bulge, if im seeing right.

invaderzim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would jump on picking these elms up if the price was right. Yes they need work, but those are nice trunks. The inverse taper can be managed.
They're in 3 gallon buckets and cost less than getting a 1 gallon from Evergreen at $45+shipping, so I'm a assuming a bit larger as well. I will likely bite on it..

careful, it looks like theyre missing a few plates of bark under the bulge, if im seeing right.
I read through this thread and @Shibui mentioned that it's common for it to fall off near the ground/soil line, which is what I'm assuming happened here. He and @Leo in N E Illinois mentioned that it'll form back over time, so I'm not as worried if I do end up getting it. Plus there's always the option of layering as well which would give me multiple trees. What kinds of pro/cons should I think about in regards to just removing the bark and seeing what's underneath in regards to reverse taper? I figure the taper will either be fine or I can think about layering.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They're in 3 gallon buckets and cost less than getting a 1 gallon from Evergreen at $45+shipping, so I'm a assuming a bit larger as well. I will likely bite on it..

I read through this thread and @Shibui mentioned that it's common for it to fall off near the ground/soil line, which is what I'm assuming happened here. He and @Leo in N E Illinois mentioned that it'll form back over time, so I'm not as worried if I do end up getting it. Plus there's always the option of layering as well which would give me multiple trees. What kinds of pro/cons should I think about in regards to just removing the bark and seeing what's underneath in regards to reverse taper? I figure the taper will either be fine or I can think about layering.
I think a small amount of reverse taper is acceptable or as acceptable as possible in Seiju Elms. I have one that has a bulge in the middle and it doesn't bother me too much. I have gotten a lot of fine branching but I lost about 40% this past year for some reason. Likely dried out a bit.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

If you like it buy it. was only pointing it out.
a lot of the little broom cork bark elms imported from Japan have the the reverse taper and they were still very popular even in shows, the more meaty ones. maybe a google search will throw up some inspiration/ideas. Ive had them in the past, when I was a newbie and mad about elms. gotta start somewhere.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go for it. Only live once. At the bare minimum you will get lots of great root cuttings from a 3 gallon pot, and they have a near 100% success rate in my experience.

I bought a similar nursery tree 2 years ago and cut straight down the trunk to make 2 clumps. For the same reason as you:

PXL_20210227_223619096 (1).jpg

The bottom of one of them a year later:

PXL_20220215_235235883 (1).jpg

I'll probably cut off the tail, with the original roots, this year. I'm pretty sure even that one clump is more tree than you'd get elsewhere, and you'll have root cuttings as well.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

Yes, I was thinking you would develop branching, and when close to exhibit ready, ground layer to get rid of the the inverse taper. Or just ignore the inverse taper, it is not really that bad.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That reverse taper is not just loss of bark at ground level. Looks to me like the bulge is callus, probably from the original chop but aggravated by leaving 5 or more shoots growing from the stump.
Highly unlikely that reverse taper will grow out, more likely to get worse as all those trunks grow and thicken.
Layering is probably a good option as is propagating more trees from roots and branches.

Top Bottom