Seiju Elms in Zone 4B? Hardiness concerns in the ground?

Reaction score
Minnesota/Bay Area (depending on time of year)
USDA Zone
I'm about to put some Seiju elms in the ground to let the trunk thicken (might even keep them there if they end up looking better for the garden). Has anyone experienced a lot of dieback with Seiju elms in colder climates? I am in Zone 4B, and guides say that's just on the lower end of the cold spectrum which Seiju elms will tolerate. I've seen a lot of American elms thrive in the neighborhood, but I hear those ones can go all the way to Zone 2.

Thanks for wisdom/experience!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It may be a good way to keep it ragged, dying far back every year.

All you really need to do is keep the trunk alive.

Hack it back every year and throw a cooler over it.

Or even dig it up every year and protect it further.

Sorce

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You may be aware that at the Arboretum/Botanical Garden, they do a yearly "tip" of the less-hardy roses in autumn to get them through winter there. They sever half of the roots, lay them on their sides, and bury under soil. This ensures that they stay just around freezing, if there's snow cover. Might be worth a try.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may be aware that at the Arboretum/Botanical Garden, they do a yearly "tip" of the less-hardy roses in autumn to get them through winter there. They sever half of the roots, lay them on their sides, and bury under soil. This ensures that they stay just around freezing, if there's snow cover. Might be worth a try.
Interesting! Not sure if I’d try this out right now, but it might be worth a shot when I can root some cuttings.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When you say "Bay area", you're not talking about Duluth, right? Seiju may be hardy in 4b, but you need to protect the roots from deep cold, ~<15°F.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you say "Bay area", you're not talking about Duluth, right? Seiju may be hardy in 4b, but you need to protect the roots from deep cold, ~<15°F.
Oh no, as in California Bay Area. I'm more in the Minneapolis zone (which is 4B). I can see the concern if it's Duluth, haha.

For now, I bring all my potted plants into an unheated garage. At least for now, that seems to work.

Top Bottom