Seiju Forest - Different Cultivars. Opinions encouraged.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like that idea. I’m definitely going to need some smaller caliper trunks because these are all very close in size. My plan was to just wait a few years then buy some more air layers from Brent. I’ll try your idea and use my plan as a backup in case of failure.
Ultimately your going to need some larger and taller trunks. I would let them all extend and thicken Some more then others and make variations in thickness that way. I think The whole composition would look good about 30% taller.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ultimately your going to need some larger and taller trunks. I would let them all extend and thicken Some more then others and make variations in thickness that way. I think The whole composition would look good about 30% taller.

Yep, all a part of the plan. It’s gonna grow freely (relatively speaking) for a few years.

I think the challenge will be tapering the trunks to primary branches while navigating the tendency of these young elms to get top heavy around the bulbous scaring. I’m about ready to trunk chop my yatsabusa for that reason. The scars have almost reverse tapered the trunk.

I’ll share the occasional update as the forest grows. This is my first grouping. The nice thing is if anything dies it can always be replaced or multiplied.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The trees pictured are almost certainly stem cuttings. As mentioned, Seiju root quite easily. Layering is too labour intensive for commercial growing except for special types and larger material.
Seiju have a tendency to long, straight growth. Pruning is very important to introduce both taper and interesting trunk shapes.
Cuts will thicken if you allow multiple shoots to grow from the site. Need to be vigilant and remove excess shoots early, before they start to expand the area. I noted several spots in the group where there are 2 or more branches growing from the trunk - watch those spots and be prepared to remove one or better, get rid of excess now, before the problems start.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The trees pictured are almost certainly stem cuttings. As mentioned, Seiju root quite easily. Layering is too labour intensive for commercial growing except for special types and larger material.
Seiju have a tendency to long, straight growth. Pruning is very important to introduce both taper and interesting trunk shapes.
Cuts will thicken if you allow multiple shoots to grow from the site. Need to be vigilant and remove excess shoots early, before they start to expand the area. I noted several spots in the group where there are 2 or more branches growing from the trunk - watch those spots and be prepared to remove one or better, get rid of excess now, before the problems start.

Thanks for the pointers. I did initially trim them back after receiving them from the grower. They were out of control. I didn’t want to make too many cuts accompanied by repotting the following week. I’ll let them settle in for a bit and get to some more maintence pruning.

Top Bottom