''Sekka'' dwarf hinoki

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I just obtained a small plant of this cultivar to propagate. It had quite a lot of die-back in the foliage. I was told by a regular Japanese visitor that this is quite normal.
Anyone have experience with this plant?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm no expert but when I see yellow it's dead most of the times for me, but the experts can tell you.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Not an expert but have some experience. If the dead foliage is brown and on the inside of the tree with nice green foliage outside then that’s normal. Like all evergreens foliage does eventually die to be replaced with more. The dead stuff should be loose and easily removed with fingers.

Otherwise keep the tree evenly moist without drying out, ideally in part shade although it is quite adaptable to other lighting, and remember they don’t bud back on old wood. Removing too much foliage on any one branch may cause that branch to give up.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not an expert but have some experience. If the dead foliage is brown and on the inside of the tree with nice green foliage outside then that’s normal. Like all evergreens foliage does eventually die to be replaced with more. The dead stuff should be loose and easily removed with fingers.

Otherwise keep the tree evenly moist without drying out, ideally in part shade although it is quite adaptable to other lighting, and remember they don’t bud back on old wood. Removing too much foliage on any one branch may cause that branch to give up.
The dead areas were scattered over the plant among the healthy leaves, It's not big or dense enough to have interior dead foliage due to lack of light so this is something else. maybe just genetic??

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Maybe it’s suffered some bad conditions. If there is healthy growing foliage and you care for it well it will prolly be ok. Keep an eye out for continued die back. Pictures?

Top Bottom