Sekka Hinoki Cypress

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When is best time to root cuttings and air layer Sekka Hinoki Cypress? I'm in the south San Francisco bay area.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Air layering is best done in spring like for most conifer species and cuttings are best taken in late summer.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Check with @Eric Schrader at Bonsaify. He is in your area and has been growing Sekka. He is a member here so may see this and reply.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I checked Sekka Hinoki air layering I started last spring. Glad to see that they were still alive. Pulled away some of the rooting substrate and surprised that after nearly 1 year, the ends have only started to callus. I suppose this is good and root sprouting will follow but I thought Sekka Hinoki cuttings take root pretty fast and so should air layering.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I tried rooting cuttings last year covering them with a plastic bag but they got off to a rocky start suffering a nasty fungal attack. I still have 3 with green foliage after almost a year but I am not hopeful for them. I may try another batch this spring and use a finer growing medium and be more careful with the bag trick.

Top Bottom