Sekka Hinoki, Normal Fall Coloring?

57vert

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Newbie here. I purchased this Sekka Hinoki the first part of August. Is the yellowing normal fall coloring, or is something else going on? This yellowing has started the last week.
It’s been getting cold at night here in the NE USA, zone 6b.

Attachments

• C5C65669-53E9-4DEC-B78C-CC45C3BF16A9.jpeg
    C5C65669-53E9-4DEC-B78C-CC45C3BF16A9.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 93

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, totally normal for Sekka. Those spots will green up again in the spring unless it's die back and it goes brown and crispy. You can press your fingers lightly on the brown area as a test and you can feel if it's still turgid or if it crumbles if it gets to that point.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi guys, I adore the sekkas cultiva too and recently purchased one from the northern europe i think.

It arrived with light green leaves, compared to my normal dark green leaves on my other sekkas.
Would this be the winter colour for sekka, or is it just a weird cultiva of a cultiva.

I have attached the first picture of the light green hinoki recently acquired and the second depicting my normal young sekka trees.

Weird Sekka Colour.jpgMy Normal Sekka Colour.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really can't tell but the photos, but there are several reasons that the new one could have lighter foliage. To begin with, new growth is lighter green, so lets hope that is the case. Other reasons would include being literally kept in the dark, nutrient deficiency, or insect or mites. What I do see in the picture gives me cause for concern. I really don't like the color, especially the lower right branch. Hopefully you can have someone local assess its condition. There is not much use for an old man across the ocean studying a dubious photo image.
Best luck.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see we have two posters here and I addressed the later one. To the OP, yes, winter color is what you are experiencing. I don't really know how true it is, but I did read that Sekka should be kept above 20F. I have half a dozen from 4 inch pot to bonsai pot so I will winter mine in a coldframe with the current information I have.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see we have two posters here and I addressed the later one. To the OP, yes, winter color is what you are experiencing. I don't really know how true it is, but I did read that Sekka should be kept above 20F. I have half a dozen from 4 inch pot to bonsai pot so I will winter mine in a coldframe with the current information I have.
I wintered 10 in small plastic pots in the yard with the rest of my trees and it got down to 0 F back in the December cold spell. They still have some discoloration on some surface foliage in spots that I assume is cold damage but are all growing fine now. So they can take the cold but expect some damage to exposed surfaces.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really can't tell but the photos, but there are several reasons that the new one could have lighter foliage. To begin with, new growth is lighter green, so lets hope that is the case. Other reasons would include being literally kept in the dark, nutrient deficiency, or insect or mites. What I do see in the picture gives me cause for concern. I really don't like the color, especially the lower right branch. Hopefully you can have someone local assess its condition. There is not much use for an old man across the ocean studying a dubious photo image.
Best luck.
Thanks for your reply Penumbra. Usually the new growth is at the tips where the colour distinction is pretty obvious. But in my case, the whole foilage is light green.
What I am thinking is perhaps the winter in netherlands where this is from is colder so, the whole tree lost their colour and it will slowly go darker green when its warmer.
But, as of now, some of the tips are slowly turning brown so.. I am not sure.

Anyway, if it doesnt make it, perhaps I can get a refund on it.

At first, i was hoping it was some sort of golden hinoki variety.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread! I wanted to continue the thread with the same sort of questions instead of starting one my own and cluttering the forums.

Top Bottom