Select a Pot for Alaskan Yellow Cedar

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally, I think number one is the only way to go. There is so much wonderful motion and visual tension in that trunk that any decoration at all is superfluous, and would detract from the tree's considerable impact. With that much dead wood and the textural contrast, the pot should be unglazed, or at the very least, not glossy.
I have an azalea that would look pretty sweet in #2, though.
My wife Deanna is an accomplished artist and she votes with you on number one.
I can see an Azalea in number two, but both of mine are two big for that pot and have the old grey bark with large nebari. Thanks for your input.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your wife is obviously a brilliant woman of profound aesthetic judgment. :)
In all seriousness, my wife has one B.FA in painting and drawing, and another in industrial design. I don’t always agree with her assessments at first, especially when I’m convinced I’m onto the truth, but I have to admit that the vast majority of the time she turns out to be right. She knows very little about the conventions of bonsai, but an incredible sense of balance, proportion, and visual motion.
Sounds like we’re both fortunate guys.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your wife is obviously a brilliant woman of profound aesthetic judgment. :)
In all seriousness, my wife has one B.FA in painting and drawing, and another in industrial design. I don’t always agree with her assessments at first, especially when I’m convinced I’m onto the truth, but I have to admit that the vast majority of the time she turns out to be right. She knows very little about the conventions of bonsai, but an incredible sense of balance, proportion, and visual motion.
Sounds like we’re both fortunate guys.
Absolutely, makes for interesting discussions when we trade viewpoints on each other's respective projects. It is scary how fundamental artistic guidelines crossover the various art forms.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is final style masculine or feminine?
The masculine or feminine appearance of the tree is primarily based on the Physical characteristics of the tree. trunk size in proportion to height, foliage type, branch formation, gentle curves versus sharp bends are all taken into consideration. Certain species and forms lend themselves to more feminine or masculine characteristics. This tree would be considered more feminine in form and free flowing in design.

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The masculine or feminine appearance of the tree is primarily based on the Physical characteristics of the tree. trunk size in proportion to height, foliage type, branch formation, gentle curves versus sharp bends are all taken into consideration. Certain species and forms lend themselves to more feminine or masculine characteristics. This tree would be considered more feminine in form and free flowing in design.

This tree have sharp angles. heavy branch and other characteristics of masculine. This one for me would not be feminine, but can go either way.

For this tree: Tabun sono toranjishon

hai hai

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update: i have switched the tree from Anderson flat to Bonsai Pot. Still working on establishing a more compact root ball ( one side is scarce on roots).
This pot is large and not my favorite style but is the correct size for this stage as i build a better root system to the best dimensions for future potting.
Took the picture right after watering so base of tree is wet as well as the deadwood! The canopy is coming along, vigorous grower, need cutback several times in a season. Will place in the greenhouse for the winter due to the late repotting! It stays warm enough to allow recovery.IMG_0963.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update: i have switched the tree from Anderson flat to Bonsai Pot. Still working on establishing a more compact root ball ( one side is scarce on roots).
This pot is large and not my favorite style but is the correct size for this stage as i build a better root system to the best dimensions for future potting.
Took the picture right after watering so base of tree is wet as well as the deadwood! The canopy is coming along, vigorous grower, need cutback several times in a season. Will place in the greenhouse for the winter due to the late repotting! It stays warm enough to allow recovery.View attachment 267178
WHAT!😶
That pot was not on the original list!!! 😱
I'm calling the FBI.....

Looking great! I like it.....tree looking happy too.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The color of pot you have put it in works well with the tree. Hope it has a good season next summer!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Where did you get #5 pot and who made it. Love it! Peter

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The color of pot you have put it in works well with the tree. Hope it has a good season next summer!
Thanks Judy, the tree has proven to be very vigorous and the greenhouse sits around 20 C during the day and 5C at night in the fall. Expect root recovery will be in great shape within 4-6 weeks by then the daytime temps will be closer to 10C, Humidity is very high this time of year and stays that way in the greenhouse as well. I expect to continue with the need for regular pruning next summer.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where did you get #5 pot and who made it. Love it! Peter
Hi Peter, the pot is a Sarah Raynor pot that i purchased at the Artisan's Cup. I came home with several pots, David Degroots new book ( at the time) and several Telperion tree's.
The vendor selections were fantastic with a good variety of pots, trees, and stuff that i did not know i needed. There was barely room for Deanna and I to maneuver in the camper van on the way home.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just want to say that I love this unique tree. It's certainly not conventional but it is something special and will certainly improve over time. I wonder if you could hide the area at the apex where three larger branches emerge or eliminate one branch.

From what I have seen you posting here on Bnut @River's Edge I would love to see your garden some day. Do you have any postings of all your trees together?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just want to say that I love this unique tree. It's certainly not conventional but it is something special and will certainly improve over time. I wonder if you could hide the area at the apex where three larger branches emerge or eliminate one branch.

From what I have seen you posting here on Bnut @River's Edge I would love to see your garden some day. Do you have any postings of all your trees together?
The foliage when more advanced will obscure the apex branching somewhat, i would not remove one as the impact would be too great on the overall. Certainly it could be done, and a much more reduced foliage design developed if that was the goal. The main live branch departing to the right will be obscured by the front when planted at the angle in the final position. This is why the root ball is being developed further to atain that planting angle and stability with the roots. The overall will come slightly forward and to the left.
Sorry, no gallery of my tree's except on my hard drive in picture folders!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Allowed time for recovery after the last simple repot and planting angle, tree grew very well since last work so further thinning and wiring has taken place. Foliage is getting smaller over time but still a long way to go before i will be satisfied with the overall. I have overtime been spending many hours on the deadwood, many more to go. As the canopy has compacted i have removed one major branch and continue to thin congested areas. These trees respond by producing a lot of shoots in the crotches! Foliage wiring requires #22 copper to support fronds until they lignify!AYC Dec 12 2019.JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First I like #1. Love the simplicity and the roundness. Also like #10. All your pots are nice.

Top Bottom