Selecting prebonsai

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello,

I try to keep my commitments simple but things are feeling stale. Bonsai has been of interest for a while and now might be time to make a good try. Today - not for the first time - I went to the garden center to look at prebonsai. It would be helpful to receive feedback on the size/style that seems viable.

Purchasing so close to winter poses other questions but this is enough for now.

Here's one photo:

It is quite low but the trunk is present. This is a Juniper Procumbens.

Attachments

• 0912191133.jpg
    0912191133.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 184

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That's pretty similar to the material I have access to/ work with. Just make sure the trunk have a little length in them so you can get some movement. You can really get a lot done with them in a short period of time. These are just Home Depot plants. Not winning any beauty contests just yet, but they're fun to work with.

Attachments

• Bonsai 2.jpg
    Bonsai 2.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 180
  • qrhbcevvzzl31.jpg
    qrhbcevvzzl31.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 175

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should be fine through winter i just would worry about keeping it happy till spring. Watered and have it get as much sun as it can get for now. Remember junipers growing power is in the foliage.

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's pretty similar to the material I have access to/ work with. Just make sure the trunk have a little length in them so you can get some movement. You can really get a lot done with them in a short period of time. These are just Home Depot plants. Not winning any beauty contests just yet, but they're fun to work with.

I may make the purchase tomorrow, then. Thank you.

You should be fine through winter i just would worry about keeping it happy till spring. Watered and have it get as much sun as it can get for now. Remember junipers growing power is in the foliage.

Sounds good. So just leave it alone, bury it around Thanksgiving (TBD), and resume after dormancy. Thank you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Tell me about it. Had storms all through out the day yesterday. Well, there was a break in the rain so i couldn't resist the urge to hike out to check on some trees i plan to collect. Needless to say, as soon as i get out there it starts to pour. Got soaked

The crazy is real.

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Today I purchased it. Now is the time to start reading. May also pick up a more developed tree (bottom).

Attachments

• 0913191809a.jpg
    0913191809a.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 138

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The larger plant was $18.99 and the smaller one is $25. Prices at this store are usually slightly premium.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you haven't gotten the smaller pruned one. I would recommend getting two of the larger ones instead. One you would save a couple bucks. Plus, it would allow you to get twice as much training in.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For a starter tree you should have made a trip to Home Depot. They have a 25% off sale right now. They sell the larger you got (looks like a 1gal trade pot) for $12.98 usually. Seems like every year they go up $1. But for the price you can't beat that to practice on.

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For a starter tree you should have made a trip to Home Depot. They have a 25% off sale right now. They sell the larger you got (looks like a 1gal trade pot) for $12.98 usually. Seems like every year they go up $1. But for the price you can't beat that to practice on.

I still may. Perhaps scope things out tomorrow. Thank you.

If you haven't gotten the smaller pruned one. I would recommend getting two of the larger ones instead. One you would save a couple bucks. Plus, it would allow you to get twice as much training in.

This is good advice. If I return, it'll be for the larger one, then. Thank you.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look for older stock with some movement in the trunk and visible nebari! It is nice to start with stock that has a trunk diameter of at least 1 inch. Check the stuff that is marked down.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
While im not saying dig up every tree, sometimes doing a little clearing can turn a good tree great.
LOL. One can check for visible nebari, what i am suggesting is that being aware of the nebari is important prior to purchase! Character and movement or change of direction in the trunk is another important point. Size of the trunk diameter can save years of development.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
LOL. One can check for visible nebari, what i am suggesting is that being aware of the nebari is important prior to purchase! Character and movement or change of direction in the trunk is another important point. Size of the trunk diameter can save years of development.
Good advice.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The best part is people looking for their homes want nice straight trees. So after they get done all that's left will be scraggly, mishapen stuff.....exactly the stuff for Bonsai.

Top Bottom