Selecting prebonsai

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try to visit landscape nurseries. I’m no pro and killed quite a few Home Depot nana’s before looking around. I picked up both of these for $25 (for both) . No, not show quality but both have trunks over 2” and give me plenty of practice material.
B81F3BA3-1735-4EC4-BC06-995800E622F1.jpeg4067A8C1-5736-466E-B79E-47C3073C6847.jpeg

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to learn how to wire. Also how to create proper airflow. Read, read, read.

Sorry for the off-topic, but how do they call that type of juniper in Korea? I have been given one last year that’s exactly like this, and I was working with the assumption it was a chinensis foemina.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry for the off-topic, but how do they call that type of juniper in Korea? I have been given one last year that’s exactly like this, and I was working with the assumption it was a chinensis foemina.
Basically this is a native Juniper Chinensis which is a wild form 'foemina' is one variety in chinensis but you can pretty much treat all chinensis the same.. They like very well draining soil but dont like to dry out and want a lot of water. They need to get good fertiliser during growth season to keep them healthy and good pad maintenance.
If you want to do major work like in the vid you need to not repot them for at least a year and let them grow almost freely. Then you can do this heavy stuff. Partial shade for at least a month after major work.

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Two acquisitions

Attachments

• 0915191930.jpg
    0915191930.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 0915191930a.jpg
    0915191930a.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't help you being a newbie myself but I would like to offer some caution about this and future purchases as well as encouraging you to spend some time learning about preparation and protection. I found it to be rather shocking and hope to save you that.

Enjoy your new hobby safely, tree looks great. 🖖🏻

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This plan is tentative. It is based on the limited extent of my knowledge so far. Will keep observing and reading meanwhile.

Fall '19
Leave all trees in nursery pots/soil
Water according to soil dryness w/ tap water, etc.
Bury within pots in a semi-protected area around Thanksgiving
Possible wiring to begin shaping branches horizontally

Winter '19
Very little to zero watering

Spring '20
Un-bury all trees
Trim roots ~1/4 (currently root-bound; to be repeated perhaps every other spring until suitable for bonsai pot)
Replace soil with more suitable mixture
Feed and water appropriately

Fall & Winter '20
More intensive wiring & repeat

Spring '21
Begin to shape ~1/4

Etc. etc.

Last edited:

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This plan is tentative. It is based on the limited extent of my knowledge so far. Will keep observing and reading meanwhile.

Fall '19
Leave all trees in nursery pots/soil
Water according to soil dryness w/ tap water, etc.
Bury within pots in a semi-protected area around Thanksgiving
Possible wiring to begin shaping branches horizontally

Winter '19
Very little to zero watering

Spring '20
Un-bury all trees
Trim roots ~1/4 (currently root-bound; to be repeated perhaps every other spring until suitable for bonsai pot)
Replace soil with more suitable mixture
Feed and water appropriately

Fall & Winter '20
More intensive wiring & repeat

Spring '21
Begin to shape ~1/4

Etc. etc.
Does it freeze where you are in winter? If not.....you still need to water.

Tap water needs to be left standing (pref in the sun) for at least 12 hours to remove the chemicals.

Plans are great...
Just bear in mind most trees can't read and may have different ideas to you.

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does it freeze where you are in winter? If not.....you still need to water.

Tap water needs to be left standing (pref in the sun) for at least 12 hours to remove the chemicals.

Plans are great...
Just bear in mind most trees can't read and may have different ideas to you.

I understand. Perhaps for the first many years it will just be "hopefully it survives this."

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really???.....My “trees” better toughen up and learn to love some hose water because that’s what they’re getting. If I can drink it they can drink it. 💪
Will it kill them? No.
Is it good for them. No
Will you notice a difference if you let water stand. Yes
Will they be happier and more lush. Yes

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wait till the 50% sale comes around.....you'll be buying trees you don't even need just becuase the price is so good. I'm waiting for that sale..... I already have a dozen mugo's ready picked out to buy.

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wait till the 50% sale comes around.....you'll be buying trees you don't even need just becuase the price is so good. I'm waiting for that sale..... I already have a dozen mugo's ready picked out to buy.

Hopefully I can grab a few at 50% off. We'll see

alexander.jm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello. I was at the hardware store again tonight. I am thinking about trying to shape a mame/shohin sized tree. Two questions came up, at least.

The blue rug junipers seem a good choice. Their trunks are thick and lots of them have a cool cascade. Lots, however, have enough brown to be a little concerning.

The other question was that the junipers I bought are about 1-2 feet tall. Their main foliage begins much taller than a "small" bonsai/tree would. Some trees I understand you can cut at the trunk and they will bud again. But this is not true with junipers? Thank you.

My phone was at <5% otherwise I would have taken a photo.

Edit: (I think I've found part of my answer here. Sorry about that.)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 37

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello. I was at the hardware store again tonight. I am thinking about trying to shape a mame/shohin sized tree. Two questions came up, at least.

The blue rug junipers seem a good choice. Their trunks are thick and lots of them have a cool cascade. Lots, however, have enough brown to be a little concerning.

The other question was that the junipers I bought are about 1-2 feet tall. Their main foliage begins much taller than a "small" bonsai/tree would. Some trees I understand you can cut at the trunk and they will bud again. But this is not true with junipers? Thank you.

My phone was at <5% otherwise I would have taken a photo.

Edit: (I think I've found part of my answer here. Sorry about that.)
Honestly. You’re in a good area, close to some places to get some quality material. Drive a little farther then homedepot and get some better stuff. You may spend a bit more $$, but personally I’ve stopped wasting time on small procumbens and blue rug junipers after getting some shimpaku. Fairfax is about an hour from Meehans.
Just my 2 cents take it for what it’s worth.
Oh, and no, don’t trunk chop a juniper.

Top Bottom