Self critique

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After working on several trees and taking pics I realized that none of the trees that I have created are worthy to be called bonsai. Even the trees I have purchased from others I have not maintained well. Growth is long and leggy. Branches have not been wired.
Many trees are still good but I cannot post them as my own work. My best trees were not created by me- they are not my work.
This exercise just made me want to throw away all of them to be honest.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's pretty friggin harsh.

Let me offer an alternative perspective.

petergriffin.jpg

Who is anyone to tell you that you can't be in bonsai? So your trees aren't bonsai yet and the ones that are you didn't create. So what? There seems to be a thought process that only those with finished trees or high quality stock belong here. I'm saying fuck that. If you're trying and you're learning you belong. If you're enjoying the process you belong. If you like your trees, even if nobody else does, you belong.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, if the tree makes you happy, who cares about that moron. Which group was it, so I can avoid it in the future?

The other issue (not maintaining trees well) is something that is easy to fall into. It has happened to me with some trees, I put off working on them for a variety of reasons - not sure what to do, not sure what style I want, afraid to mess up or make a mistake. You just have to start doing the work. There will be mistakes along the way but that is part of the process. Another possibility is that you don't really like the trees (novelty has worn off, tastes have changed) and aren't motivated to work on them. If that's the case - sell and move on.

Also remember that trees often do go through an "ugly" stage if you are growing out sections for trunk size, for example. That's not a reason to be down on your collection, though.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After working on several trees and taking pics I realized that none of the trees that I have created are worthy to be called bonsai. Even the trees I have purchased from others I have not maintained well. Growth is long and leggy. Branches have not been wired.
Many trees are still good but I cannot post them as my own work. My best trees were not created by me- they are not my work.
Why do you feel the long leggy growth? To low of lighting? That was my issue with the bougie come winter inside before offering a grow light. Not even a newer bulb style. But came with the grow cart. But enough to keep the bougie happy with small internodes.

Great thing with tropical I am told they can be developed fast. That said...your bench, or shelf...if they make you happy don't beat yourself up over it. I have a feeling...the Suthin tree will up your game. You paid more for it...plus his pedigree so to speak. That you will step your game up by having it on the bench. Chin up...you are keeping them alive. I bet you peek into back yards...and (((gasp))) you might find unwired trees on some trees. It's okay...

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes most of it is because of lighting. My skills are improving. My taste has always been exceptional :)
I need to chase the growth back on about 6 of my trees. Some are growing well but some of the better ones need help. Of course the ones that are young have tight growth.
I will work through it.
The exercise was to be honest with yourself and I was brutally honest. I have one tree that looks awesome and it's my avatar. It's not my work.
I will stil keep pushing forward but the truth is I have a lot to do. :)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hated the top.
I like smaller trees. I cut it.
Still developing a crown.
Needs growth chased back and thickening of branches.
It's not my best tree but it's a decent one that I will continue to work on.IMG_4119.JPGIMG_8810.JPGIMG_8811.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Congrats on the pick up! I'm pondering do I cut my own back..I have leaves closer to the trunk...or leave the canopy as is. I won't allow it to get taller. I do know that. I just don't have the height to allow for tall trees on that lower grow cart shelf. I did nip some so it was a smidgeon shorter already. But not many.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another from Jason
Now it's yours not Jasons.
You paid for it.
You've kept it alive.
It lives with you.
Fuck Fakebook. People on Facebook have all been fake newsed and are being brainwashed.
You're doing great with your trees girl,dont let others tell you otherwise.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That top cut alone is enough for me to be like....."oh she knows the deal"...

Great work.

Needed to be done and it was.

One pic...great progress!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bonsai is boring. As for the journey, now that's exciting!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You seem to have a good grasp of how to move forward in this art. I am sure many people on here are just starting projects, and can't show "finished" trees. Plus you are growing tropicals in Iowa, so you are caring for the trees year round. Good on ya!

Top Bottom