Self critique

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I understand. I do get rid of trees fairly often.
I guess I just want one tree that is all my own work that I am 100 percent pleased with and proud of. I will keep working toward that goal.
If it is beautiful only to me - that is still the ultimate goal. A fat base with some good movement. I'm not asking for a lot. ?
I guess as my taste progresses I become even choosier about what makes it a good tree.
How long have you been growing bonsai trees? Maybe it's time you considered a teacher? There is that old proverb that states when the student is ready nature will provide a teacher. If your trees are not what you want them to be find out why and correct it. Your eye is good enough to understand what a good bonsai is supposed to be, and that your trees are not they. Try to see how to improve what you have then do it. Art does not come by itself most of the time. Only the desire you have now discovered comes in the night as an epiphinany that will drive you into making better trees. Better trees are not automatic. All of the stuff is the product of hard work, open eyes and an open mind un-afraid to fail. I precieve in you much of what I believe: If it ain't my work I don't want it. Having great bonsai is not why I do bonsai it is making great bonsai that drives me. If I had the opportunity to buy one of Kimura's masterpieces, and price was not an issue I would not buy it.

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How long have you been growing bonsai trees? Maybe it's time you considered a teacher? There is that old proverb that states when the student is ready nature will provide a teacher. If your trees are not what you want them to be find out why and correct it. Your eye is good enough to understand what a good bonsai is supposed to be, and that your trees are not they. Try to see how to improve what you have then do it. Art does not come by itself most of the time. Only the desire you have now discovered comes in the night as an epiphinany that will drive you into making better trees. Better trees are not automatic. All of the stuff is the product of hard work, open eyes and an open mind un-afraid to fail.
I have been growing trees since 2011. I spent the first 7 years doing all the wrong things.
I have learned a lot and killed a lot of trees.
I do enjoy the process but I should have something to show for it by now.
I will make a couple of changes and see if it helps my growth rate. Yes- thanks Vance.
You've always been a good mentor for me.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have been growing trees since 2011. I spent the first 7 years doing all the wrong things.
I have learned a lot and killed a lot of trees.
I do enjoy the process but I should have something to show for it by now.
I will make a couple of changes and see if it helps my growth rate. Yes- thanks Vance.
You've always been a good mentor for me.
I am honored that you consider me a mentor, I will attempt to continue to be so.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
How long have you been growing bonsai trees? Maybe it's time you considered a teacher? There is that old proverb that states when the student is ready nature will provide a teacher. If your trees are not what you want them to be find out why and correct it. Your eye is good enough to understand what a good bonsai is supposed to be, and that your trees are not they. Try to see how to improve what you have then do it. Art does not come by itself most of the time. Only the desire you have now discovered comes in the night as an epiphinany that will drive you into making better trees. Better trees are not automatic. All of the stuff is the product of hard work, open eyes and an open mind un-afraid to fail. I precieve in you much of what I believe: If it ain't my work I don't want it. Having great bonsai is not why I do bonsai it is making great bonsai that drives me. If I had the opportunity to buy one of Kimura's masterpieces, and price was not an issue I would not buy it.
I see this paragraph as an oxymoron. If "you" wish to make great trees how does having a teacher make that possible, except for the obvious which is not your work? Or is the teacher thing just for Coffee girl?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see this paragraph as an oxymoron. If "you" wish to make great trees how does having a teacher make that possible, except for the obvious which is not your work? Or is the teacher thing just for Coffee girl?

What does that even mean on any level?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
creativity is easily dismantled

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@amcoffeegirl Have you checked out Rinha_Bonsai before? She has s FB snd IG account. To me it's less hardcore bonsai (most at least), but I still love it. I dont know how to describe it. Modern bonsai? Saika?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for your forthright honestly and showing your work, am.

it’s not human shit.

I really can’t stand a bully

sorry about the floyd.
..it’s not the way -cass mccombs would have been better, or none at all

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for your forthright honestly and showing your work, am.

it’s not human shit.

I really can’t stand a bully

sorry about the floyd.
..it’s not the way -cass mccombs would have been better, or none at all
Yeah I'm not a Pink Floyd fan. Throw some Zeppelin on my threads any time you want though.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've got some nice starts here, the beauty of Willow leaf figs is they develop fast, roots and trunks thicken in shallow containers, and they bud back profusely when cut back to bare branches. So don't worry about leggy branches, let them extend and thicken and then bring them in to induce taper and start ramification.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You can spend your entire life trying to re-invent the wheel and discover in the end that it had already been done. You could have saved yourself a lot of time and effort if you had taken the effort to learn some of the basic principals and concepts of art necessary to make this thing called bonsai work. I am all in favor of doing your own work and making your own discoveries but all of it takes time and that time in your life span cannot be returned to you. Why would you want to waste time learning/figuring out what you could have learned with a little programed study?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe I will just continue to update this thread through the years. It pretty much tells my journey up to this point. That way I can continue to see my personal progression.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have moved about half of the ficus outside the last 12 days. They are loving it and I've been rewarded with lots of new leaves and red growing tips. I will let go of several in the next few days. I will keep a few projects because I enjoy the challenge. Next year they will have to go outside earlier in the season.
I like shohin size trees so I will focus my eyes on quality trees from now on. No more starter trees. If I want to be better then it's time to push forward. I did actually purchase one more nice willow leaf last night. I've spent a lot on this hobby this year. I feel like I am expanding my knowledge too and developing my skills. So hopefully my trees will show that eventually.
I will share pics after it arrives.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
You can spend your entire life trying to re-invent the wheel and discover in the end that it had already been done. You could have saved yourself a lot of time and effort if you had taken the effort to learn some of the basic principals and concepts of art necessary to make this thing called bonsai work. I am all in favor of doing your own work and making your own discoveries but all of it takes time and that time in your life span cannot be returned to you. Why would you want to waste time learning/figuring out what you could have learned with a little programed study?
I can teach someone how to wire bonsai in about half a day. I can show them the kinks and twists that I have learned and I can tell if someone has the chops or doesn't. The same in my job. I get about twelve new people a year that I have to take out and train to do many of the jobs that there are no schools to learn. It's OJT or nothing. I can tell really quick, with in a couple days which ones will make it and which ones will flop. So how long do you feel is necessary to work with a teacher? Is this a year long process, five years, I mean look what happens in Japan with the students that go there. Do you think if AMcoffee girl went to Japan she would come out like Ryan Neil? Just asking, I have no idea, you brought up the teacher deal....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have moved about half of the ficus outside the last 12 days. They are loving it and I've been rewarded with lots of new leaves and red growing tips. I will let go of several in the next few days. I will keep a few projects because I enjoy the challenge. Next year they will have to go outside earlier in the season.
I like shohin size trees so I will focus my eyes on quality trees from now on. No more starter trees. If I want to be better then it's time to push forward. I did actually purchase one more nice willow leaf last night. I've spent a lot on this hobby this year. I feel like I am expanding my knowledge too and developing my skills. So hopefully my trees will show that eventually.
I will share pics after it arrives.
I think you are in another phase...many do that when they up their game. A nice Willow leaf eh? Can't wait to see it! I need to winter my ficus before I expand. But...to be honest...I keep peaking at what might intrigue me. My husband just built a cat house this week for someone. I am hoping he has a piece of chicken wire left from it. For that lower grow cart shelf.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can teach someone how to wire bonsai in about half a day. I can show them the kinks and twists that I have learned and I can tell if someone has the chops or doesn't. The same in my job. I get about twelve new people a year that I have to take out and train to do many of the jobs that there are no schools to learn. It's OJT or nothing. I can tell really quick, with in a couple days which ones will make it and which ones will flop. So how long do you feel is necessary to work with a teacher? Is this a year long process, five years, I mean look what happens in Japan with the students that go there. Do you think if AMcoffee girl went to Japan she would come out like Ryan Neil? Just asking, I have no idea, you brought up the teacher deal....
I have no desire to put in that kind of effort to be honest (training in Japan- lol) I appreciate your thread on going to see shows and how seeing quality trees in person as part of the learning process. We just had the state fair and last Sunday was a show- I failed in my home work and did not go.
I should have went. I did not. Todd Schlafer was back. He did a few demos.
There is a club meeting this Saturday - I likely will not go- I have other commitments.
So yes going to see others creating would assist in my learning. I must admit I am choosy about who I would want for a teacher.
But there is a lady in my area who works with tropicals and it would be good for me to reach out and meet her. Visiting her trees and viewing her work I am certain would inspire me.

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was happy today when I learned that a few owners pulled their trees from nationals because they felt the trees weren't looking their best. It shows me that even folks at a higher level can be unsatisfied with their personal work or growing season. It showed me that self critique really does work and I will use it often. They were able to offer replacement trees so the show will still be wonderful. Maybe I should make it a priority to go to the next one. ???

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was happy today when I learned that a few owners pulled their trees from nationals because they felt the trees weren't looking their best. It shows me that even folks at a higher level can be unsatisfied with their personal work or growing season. It showed me that self critique really does work and I will use it often. They were able to offer replacement trees so the show will still be wonderful. Maybe I should make it a priority to go to the next one. ???
After reading all of this and having experienced most of it myself there are two things you HAVE TO DO: You have to stop being so self deprecating and you have to stop punishing yourself by denying quality bonsai to yourself. It seems to me that in your mind self critiquing is self condemnation, which should not be confused with looking for improvement. You will never get anywhere in bonsai if you refuse to grow. My father whom I loved very much was at the same time abusive. After he died I found out why he was the way he was, but for most of my life nothing I did was good enough for his approval. When your experience in life is like that it is very difficult to dig out from under that mountain of someone else's self-disdane transfered on to you. You have to look to the good things in life and if there is anything that is worthy of your self deprecation make sure they are themselves not just an excuse to keep from succeeding.

Top Bottom