Self seeded maple bonsai conversion attempt!

Mark2020

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,

I'm hoping to get a little advise regarding a tree that self seeded in a pot on my balcony (actually about 30 of them self seeded and germinated, but this one was leading the pack).

I think it's a maple of some description, with a leaf shape that's almost identical to the one on the Canadian flag. It had grown to about 1 metre, but I cut it back to about 6 inches with the intention of throwing it away with the others when clearing up. This one had a nice curve on the trunk (it grew around a bag of compost!), and a few days after I cut it back there were a couple of shoots starting to grow from the trunk. I reckoned it might be worth trying to make a bonsai out of it, so repotted it. Sadly, in the process, I broke off one of the new shoots. The remaining shoot is thriving.

It was shaping up to be great with the two opposite shoots growing up. I'm wondering if there's any way to encourage a new shoot/branch from the side I broke the one on? Should I cut off the thriving shoot in the hope that the little tree starts over? I had to cut about half of the main root off when I repotted it, so don't want to shock it any more than necessary. It's been pretty resilient so far and I want to give it a shot! I've included a photo of its present condition! Is it too late in the season (based in UK) to strip it back to a stump again?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Attachments

• IMG_5799.jpg
    IMG_5799.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 28

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

I would suggest you start by reading up on some great progression threads here on the site of people developing maple bonsai from scratch. Here's one to whet your appetite:

Usually, people will tell you to put your tree in a field and come back in five years so it will thicken up. :) But maple is one of those species that is pretty adaptive to a lot of styles, including taller, more slender and feminine designs. I would recommend you find a maple bonsai that you find attractive (online or in person) and come back with that photo and ask "how do I get from here to there?" People will tell you different things based on whether you want to end up with a 5" tall, squat tree, or a 24" slender tree with weeping branches. It's a much more productive way of thinking about your trees than just staring at them and wondering "what next?"

Some of my trees I actually have photos of real trees in nature that I use for styling direction. Even if you aren't going for a literal execution of the image, it helps keep your styling honest and less artificial looking (or so I tell myself :) )

Mark2020

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks! I'm pretty new to bonsai, and am at that point of complete information overload. I think possibly leaving this guy alone until next spring to get back up to strength, and then review, might be the best approach. Also has the benefit of giving me time to read up and try to get a handle on all the information!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks! I'm pretty new to bonsai, and am at that point of complete information overload. I think possibly leaving this guy alone until next spring to get back up to strength, and then review, might be the best approach. Also has the benefit of giving me time to read up and try to get a handle on all the information!

We've all been there. I would highly recommend obtaining 20 trees. Otherwise you will stare at the maple until your eyes cross. There is an annual rhythm to bonsai. Depending on species and state of development, you want to do certain things, at certain times. Then, in many cases, it is best to do nothing until the next step. Often when just starting out with one or two trees, it is not uncommon to kill your tree with kindness. Every day you touch, pinch, poke, prune... Trees need to be left alone 360 days a year (give or take). Those other five days may be a flurry of activity, but you need to be able to leave your tree alone. Hard to do with one or two trees. Easier with 20. Much easier with 200 :)

Mark2020

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Haha, this one came about after lockdown boredom led to an Acer Atropurpureum and an Elm Parviofolia purchase. I had a spare pot and they inspired me to have a try with this guy who was destined for the bin otherwise. Admittedly I've got a cherry blossom and a horse chestnut (perhaps not the most practical bonsai, but its my favourite tree) on the way also. I'm going to make a major effort to stop at these 5 until I know I'm able to keep them healthy!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom