Selling big ones!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Happy Fall everyone.
Since the weather is cooler, I have a few large trees to offer up here. I've decided to rip the bandaid off all at once to sell off my larger stuff, as when we move in a few years to Colorado, my collection must be smaller to maintain. Plenty of land, but the building of the enclosures must be reasonable, so big stuff will not be moving with me.
(with a few exceptions...)
First, the Hackberry. It's been a lovely tree to grow and train, and I will miss it. Was one of my first "real" bonsai! This is a collected tree from Louisiana, a guy named Bobby Burgett collected it a long time ago.
I of course have a long thread here on the forum about this tree. This tree is super easy to care for, the leaves are a good scale and has gotten super twiggy as you can see from the leafless photos. It’s a bit shaggy just now, as I let it grow freely this late summer.
measurments are 24” tall by 30” wide with a nebari of around 12” with a trunk of 5-6”. I’m hoping that the buyer can pick this tree up, as it is large and fairly heavy.
I’m looking for around 3k for this tree, it’s certainly a one of a kind old collected tree with tons of natural character. Will entertain reasonable offers, especially for buyers who can pick the tree up. Lots of photos, if you want a clean "front" the current back is clean from the base to the top, and would be easily reworked to that side.
Link to the development thread.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/chinese-hackberry.7424/
P1030177.jpgP1030178.jpgP1030179.jpgP1030184.jpgP1030186.jpgP1030187.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a Chinese Quince that has also been very fun to develop. This is a cutting grown instead of seedling grown, so has smaller leaves than the other type. This one is probably shippable, but pickup would certainly be appreciated.
Link to the thread here, https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/new-stock-twin-trunk-quince.6702/
Lots of photos there, here are a couple current ones. I'm looking for $750 for this tree.
Measurements are 7" nebari 3.5" trunk 20" tall (to the newest growth starts) by 25 or so wide. The branching is pretty nice and dense for this species, and the bark is beginning to defoliate more every year. The next to last photo is from last year, so it's getting closer to the image in the last virtual that is the goal. Nice virt, which @Bnut provided.
P1030190.jpgP1030192.jpgP1030194.jpgP1020354.jpgdesign-more.jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A Stewartia Pseudocamillia thread here - https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/stewartia-pseudocamellia.14219/
This is about an 8" nebari and 4" trunk and is 26" tall and 24" wide. These are really beautiful graceful trees, and I've been pleased with the progress made. The fall color is some of the best fall color around. And the flowers are super clean and pretty.
These are not easy to find, and this is on it's way to a nice form with the secondary trunk and good base. Looking for 1100 or thereabouts on this one, and again pickup by the buyer. This tree looks far nicer in person than in these current shots. I believe that the large taperless secondary trunk that the block is pushing away from the main trunk should be used as a sacrifice to fatten the two smaller branches coming off of that secondary trunk. I'd use those two branches to form the secondary trunk in the endgame.
The fall color shot was from last year, so you can see how quickly they can develop.
And some flower shots too!
P1030107.jpgP1030108.jpgP1020552.jpgP1020306.jpgP1020307.jpgP1020305 (1).jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quite a lovely tall and graceful Red Beech. Another difficult species to find. A very feminine tree and is very responsive to training, and is quite a vigorous grower for the species. I love this form of tree, and it's something you don't see done well very often. This tree is best with no leaves to show off the way the branches play off the twists of the trunk line. The leaves coming out in the spring have to be seen to be believed. They are almost like small paintings with many varied colors. As good as fall color on some trees. Of course, here is a thread... https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/japanese-red-beech.15074/
Dimensions are 10" nebari with a 2.5" trunk 35" tall x 28" wide.
I'm looking for 1250 or so for this one, and pickup by the buyer if possible.
Current photos, hard to see much with the leaves, but some previous pictures will show you what this tree is all about.P1030195.jpgP1030196.jpgP1030197.jpgP1030199.jpgP1000656.jpgP1020281.jpgP1020299.jpgP1020302.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also have a new pot for the Stewartia I was planning on for next spring. It is a wonderful shape for this tree, and color of course. It's also a bit shallower so will make that base even more striking.
P1030174.jpgP1030176.jpg[/QUOTE]

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hack yeah!!!

Are J. Quince similar to C. Quince in terms of care? I bought a learner Toyo Quince 2 years ago that made it through the winter and even flowered the following early spring just to poof out and died. Maybe I' moved it around to different temperature ranges too often? And I DID move it around a lot.

I would love to get my hands on the C. Quince but my learner shows I'm not ready. Wished they where bulletproof like Goji berry.

But now i do know better and just leave the trees where they are mulched in. THAT has worked for me.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hack yeah!!!

Are J. Quince similar to C. Quince in terms of care? I bought a learner Toyo Quince 2 years ago that made it through the winter and even flowered the following early spring just to poof out and died. Maybe I' moved it around to different temperature ranges too often? And I DID move it around a lot.

I would love to get my hands on the C. Quince but my learner shows I'm not ready. Wished they where bulletproof like Goji berry.

But now i do know better and just leave the trees where they are mulched in. THAT has worked for me.
I find C. Quince far easier than J. And this particular C. Quince above is actually much easier than my other one in terms of care and it's also a more vigorous grower. I keep this one in full sun, the other needs part shade.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All these trees are sold. I do still have the large cream Tokoname pot if anyone is interested in that.

Top Bottom