Semi-cascade five needle pine

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A nice five needle pine to start off this forum. This tree is for sale currently at Bonsai Hokaen for about $500. A little more time and this tree could really look nice.

1218_1.jpg

1218_2.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now I know why this forum bothers me so much! You are such a tease!

Seriously, though, isn't it time for the lowest branch in the back to be cut off? How much bigger do we need the trunk, anyway?;)

T

treeshaper

I checked this website, and the price of the tree indicated is 8000 Yen, which is about $80. It is a very nice little tree, though.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
this tree isn't a five-needle pine. It's a Japanese Red Pine, and for some reason is rarely seen in Western Bonsai. I just started working on 2 JRP for bunjin. They're vigorous and back bud very well.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like the pine -- whatever kind it is.

It is a bit similar to my small (8 inch) Virginia pine.

Attachments

• VIRGI000.jpg
    VIRGI000.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 98
  • VIRGI003.JPG
    VIRGI003.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
I personally think it is worth every bit of $500... seeing that it is planted in the chalice of the Holy Grail !!!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought a semi-cascade had to bend down below the rim of the pot at some point:confused:

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks similar, but JRP have much straighter needles and are more hardy than Virginia Pines. I could be wrong, but based on the pot selection and styling, I believe this photo was taken in Japan. I also dont think this qualifies as a semi cascade.

Seems like the person who originally posted this hasn't checked for comments.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

The individual who originally posted this is the moderator of this site. Its interesting that this was originally posted over five years ago and the tree is still posted on the link. I guess no one is willing to shell out that amount of dough for this particular tree. I know I wouldn't.:D

Oh, and I agree, this isn't a white pine.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's a chopstick in a ceramic cup. I'm positive the photo was taken in Japan. If so, this is definitely a JRP. They are commonly grown for bunjin, but this one just needs to age another 10 years or so in a larger, more appropriate pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree is sold. So someone did shell out the required amount of yens to take it home.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally I think the tree is nice, but man I do not like the pot at all! I think this is a good candidate for the Shakan style with a little more development of the upper growth.

ed

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks similar, but JRP have much straighter needles and are more hardy than Virginia Pines. I could be wrong, but based on the pot selection and styling, I believe this photo was taken in Japan. I also dont think this qualifies as a semi cascade.

I got the impression that Japanese Red pine were not very strong/hardy trees on their own roots. Does this mean that Virginia pines are downright delicate then?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Haha, I love that the comments on this thread are in three distinct blocks, each separated from the others by FOUR YEARS!!! 2006/7 . . . then nothing until 2011 . . . then nothing until 2015. Awesome. I wonder where this bent coat-hanger ended up? It might actually be a tree by now . . .

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Personally I am curious why all of a sudden we are encountering all of these threads that in some cases go beck most of a decade?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Think about it Vance. It will come to you.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Chris Johnston????????????????????????????????????????

Top Bottom