Semi Cascade Japanese Maple at Kokufu - Build Plan - Review Appreciated.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a great semi cascade Japanese maple shown on https://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/ from the Kokufu. This tree really spoke to me!! I've attached the pic for ease of discussion. I am very interested in trying to grow something like this and have developed a plan to at least try and develop the trunk and general semi cascading branch structure.

jap maple kokufu.jpg

Please check out and throw darts at this plan. The basis behind this is chopping very low when young, maybe 3 years in my growing climate, then growing sacrifice branches out till (1.5in thick per) the desired lower trunk section thickness is achieved. Obviously, you might not be able to keep the branches remaining from the original chop and might have to graft in new branches to be used as leaders. I was just thinking, this way would allow you to thicken the trunk while minimizing the time to heal a large scar from 1 major trunk chop. One could also start building the structure of the cascade branches while the trunk is being thickened.

Kokufu Cascade Plan 1.jpg

Final progression. Obviously the hardest part could be the branch structure. Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kokufu Cascade Plan 2.jpg

Maybe an overall 20yr plan which I definitely have time for. Would be extremely pleased to grow something even half this nice. Probably will plan to start 5 of these at the same time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like it’s mooning the camera...

That said, I’ll never be showing anything at kokufu lol. Really cool tree , comment not intended to be derogatory, just a comical first impression. Agreed with your virtual, take a fat base and chop it, train it to semi-cascade. Maybe not 20 years if starting with something on its way, but it’s damn ramified in the ‘finished’ pic. Cool tree for inspiration though.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The rare Jap maple this one can appreciate. Looks like genuine OLD tree. Not cookie cutter.

Suggestion for start of your tree is bend small seedling down very low for start of trunk. Straight up trunk as in drawings looks bad/wrong;). By coincidence have very small JM volunteer in other trees pot must be repotted this year and plan was to make into cascade. Thank you for inspiration.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can see where the first trunk section was chopped. Time = X.

2nd section . Time = X.

Seems there are shorter 3rd and 4th chops on each of the 2 trunks. Time = X.

It seems the rest of the branching had been built in a traditional "grow and cut back" method then.

Seems just that last part could take 20 years!

Someone knows approximate values for the x's.

Sorce

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, I agree with what you have said. Was looking for any opinions on my plan as I plan to try this with some seedlings I'm starting this year.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorce, I agree with what you have said. Was looking for any opinions on my plan as I plan to try this with some seedlings I'm starting this year.

I think your plan is how they developed this tree. The nebari and foundation of the tree is very balanced. You can faintly see the first trunk chop as a healed circle on the trunk. I think the challenge in getting a JM to grow like this is to get the trunk caliper large enough... and then prune... and then get the next segment large enough... and then prune.

You need to be a master at pruning JM so the scars are hidden...

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score
This was a popular tree. Very old. A much smaller version could surely be done in 20 years. One advantage you have over other styles is that you don't have to worried about developing a pancake nebari. The trunk is covered in faint scars that were healed decades ago. This was not built by 4 or 5 chops. Regarding your plan... be weary of reverse taper, chop lower, grow in the ground for a solid 5+ years. You could alternatively grow a clump, while wiring and preserving one "trunk" and reducing the others over time. Leaving you with a lump of wood with a well developed branch.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was a popular tree. Very old. A much smaller version could surely be done in 20 years. One advantage you have over other styles is that you don't have to worried about developing a pancake nebari. The trunk is covered in faint scars that were healed decades ago. This was not built by 4 or 5 chops. Regarding your plan... be weary of reverse taper, chop lower, grow in the ground for a solid 5+ years. You could alternatively grow a clump, while wiring and preserving one "trunk" and reducing the others over time. Leaving you with a lump of wood with a well developed branch.

Good idea. I will probably try that.

D

Deleted member 21616

Also curious if this have begun! Love the topic!

I have 1 Kiyohime and 1 Kahsima that I am growing out for this purposes (dwarfs, with strong horizontal growth). They are about pencil this rick now... but have a popsicle stick that says "cascade" in their pot LOL

@RobertB have you looked at Valavanis' cascade seigen? As opposed to the trunk in the picture you posted, which goes straight up, then left, his starts going left straight from the ground. I find that looks natural, and in a sense 'saves a step' maybe?

D

Attachments

• 8d1595aa70ee9de8eb87021ec57ab363.jpg
    8d1595aa70ee9de8eb87021ec57ab363.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 66

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes, i have about 150 seedlings from last year doing great. im going the slow path and growing from seed. im young and have plenty of time. i will post a link to my seedling thread later.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably need to start tree off with the pot inclined on one side so the trunk grows up at and angle.

That’s a huge part of it, from what I understand. Not only for the grow out phase, but for most of their lives, cascade trees are inclined and rotated to maximize sun exposure and prevent as much as possible the progressive weakening of the "apex".

Look at this example from the Bonsai Mura nursery, this is what the host explains:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s a huge part of it, from what I understand. Not only for the grow out phase, but for most of their lives, cascade trees are inclined and rotated to maximize sun exposure and prevent as much as possible the progressive weakening of the "apex".

Look at this example from the Bonsai Mura nursery, this is what the host explains:

Interesting...I have only experienced the tail getting weak, the apex is always strong...???...???

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting...I have only experienced the tail getting weak, the apex is always strong...???...???

I meant the tail, obviously. The lowest part of the tree.

jodaworks

Seedling
Reaction score
Any updates on this project? I found this thread because I was searching for semi-cascade ideas for this weird Japanese Maple nursery find.

Attachments

• 20220719_183956~2.jpg
    20220719_183956~2.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom