Semi cascade kishu

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you for the information on the fertilizer.

Are you using the 8-4-6 or the 6-2-4

thanks again

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have a regimen you follow for fungus/insect control on smaller junipers? Thanks!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you have a regimen you follow for fungus/insect control on smaller junipers? Thanks!
The main problem I have with J. chinesis are spider mites and scale. Mostly mites. For mites, I spray monthly as a preventative, alternating between two miticides - Bifenthrin and Talstar. Horticultural oil could be used as well, but we’re often too warm in Houston to do that safely. For scale I spray In late winter/early spring and as needed with horticultural oil. I haven’t found that I’ve needed to regularly spray any of my native junipers (Ashe, California, One-seed, Alligator, Sierra, Western) as I’ve never seen either mites or scale on any of them.

In terms of fungal issues on J. chinesis, they’re generally not much of a problem for me as long as they’re properly maintained, kept in a sunny exposure, and the foliage is kept dry (no overhead watering - or at least only overhead water first thing in the morning so the foliage can dry during the day). If fungal issues appear (mostly tip blight on seedlings I haven't been looking after regularly), I spray as needed with Mancozeb or Daconil. But as I said, this is generally not a problem for me. The only native juniper I’ve had any fungal issues with is my Alligator juniper.

In summary - aside from good plant husbandry - I do the following:
  1. Monthly spraying of shimpaku for mites alternating between miticides
  2. One dormant treatment with horticultural oil and as needed for scale
  3. As needed with fungicide
- Scott

Top Bottom