Semi cascade kishu

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sweet! Though I have a hard time determining the scale. Would you mind placing an empty beer bottle next to the pot and taking a new photo? :)

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What a great thread. I'm slowly learning and researching how to work on the couple junipers I have in my care. Thanks for providing some excellent photos and reinforcing a few things I've read elsewhere. Looks great after the growing season!

If you don't mind. What sort of fertilizer (and regimen) do you use on shimpakus that are in a growth/recovery stage?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What a great thread. I'm slowly learning and researching how to work on the couple junipers I have in my care. Thanks for providing some excellent photos and reinforcing a few things I've read elsewhere. Looks great after the growing season!

If you don't mind. What sort of fertilizer (and regimen) do you use on shimpakus that are in a growth/recovery stage?

I apply granular fertilizer in bags as you see. I apply at the beginning of the growing season (March, for us) and then replace them in late summer (early September, generally). I use a product called Microlife. In addition, I fertilize with a weekly liquid fertilizer for a few weeks around that time as well. I generally use a cocktail based on fish emulsion or hastagro.

S

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I apply granular fertilizer in bags as you see. I apply at the beginning of the growing season (March, for us) and then replace them in late summer (early September, generally). I use a product called Microlife. In addition, I fertilize with a weekly liquid fertilizer for a few weeks around that time as well. I generally use a cocktail based on fish emulsion or hastagro.

S
Thanks for the detailed reply! Cheers

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
After needle thinning and soil cleanup.

View attachment 356478
Hi Scott! Thank you for such an educational post and for taking the time on describing the thought process on the steps you took earlier. I noticed that when you wired the tree, it was also the same time when you re-potted it. Was that a decision based on the health of the tree at the time? Because I was advised not to do so in the same season... But obviously, based on your results - it can be done. But then again maybe the combination of your climate, health of the tree, timing were all good contributing factors.

Apologies for rambling on, and on. I'm just absorbing a lot of knowledge here.
Have a great day!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scott! Thank you for such an educational post and for taking the time on describing the thought process on the steps you took earlier. I noticed that when you wired the tree, it was also the same time when you re-potted it. Was that a decision based on the health of the tree at the time? Because I was advised not to do so in the same season... But obviously, based on your results - it can be done. But then again maybe the combination of your climate, health of the tree, timing were all good contributing factors.

Apologies for rambling on, and on. I'm just absorbing a lot of knowledge here.
Have a great day!
Hi Bu-Jetjet -

I tend to make the decision based on the health of the tree. If the tree is strong, young, you’re not planning a lot of root work during the repot and the tree was already in good soil, it can probably handle it.

I think this could have handled doing both in 2019. However I repotted it that year and did the main styling work in 2020. There was very little wiring done in 2019. Always best to air on the side of caution if you’re not sure.

- S

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Bu-Jetjet -

I tend to make the decision based on the health of the tree. If the tree is strong, young, you’re not planning a lot of root work during the repot and the tree was already in good soil, it can probably handle it.

I think this could have handled doing both in 2019. However I repotted it that year and did the main styling work in 2020. There was very little wiring done in 2019. Always best to air on the side of caution if you’re not sure.

- S
Understood, thanks again Sir!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the tree is strong, young, you’re not planning a lot of root work during the repot and the tree was already in good soil, it can probably handle it.
Maybe if I may.. It also depends on the experience people have. When people are new, there are conservaive recommendations, vss what people do who know the species, how they respond and can judge the state of health.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great tutorial, Scott. Personally, I tend to leave foliage pruning on junipers until after growth hardens because I've weakened junipers by pruning too early, but this one obviously had a very strong root system to start with. I always enjoy your tutorials and progressions.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Maybe if I may.. It also depends on the experience people have. When people are new, there are conservaive recommendations, vss what people do who know the species, how they respond and can judge the state of health.
That‘s a good caution leatherback - thank you

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Amazing material and job at using it to make something amazing out of . I will I can get my hands on material like that !

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here’s the tree before work - front and back. Very full with some small runners. 8025D1DE-B1A2-44A2-B382-A1724721669C.jpegE8ACFD6C-F282-46C8-9B2B-CA8DD727D524.jpeg

Top Bottom