Semi cascade to literati

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Got this little shimpaku last year. When I bought it, it wasn't in very good shape. Very pot bound, lots of yellow foliage. I repotted it last summer and nursed it back to health. The branches are getting a bit leggy. I just cleaned it it up a bit, opening the canopy to get some more light and air in.
I'm also thinking about changing the design. I like it as it is, but it could be more 'dramatic'. Maybe I'll air layer it where the trunk splits and make a (sort of) shohin literati out of it.

20210302_173609.jpg20210302_173623.jpg20210302_173700.jpg

Back branch (the one going to the right in this picture) is very long...
20210302_173724.jpg

I could prune it like this:
20210302_175831.jpg

And then tilt it like this:
20210302_174000.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the current angle is really nice.

If it were mine Id keep it close to that but put it into a cresent pot, something like this :

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think the current angle is really nice.

If it were mine Id keep it close to that but put it into a cresent pot, something like this :
TOTALLY AGREE! I think a crescent pot will just add to the vision of where this tree already is at. Telling a much better story.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree with @penumbra a lot of options to take here. I do think it would look better in a smaller pot, maybe a drum?
A smaller, round pot came to my mind as well... Drum or nanban even. But since it was in poor shape last year, I figured it needed some space to reinvigorate.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
@Paradox @Cadillactaste I'm still on the fence! I like the current design, but I think that in the long run I'd like to 'simplify' and compact it. You can't really tell from the picture, but there's alot of canopy for such a slender trunk. Besides, the bark is absolutely stunning! So imo too much canopy detracts from the appearance of age in the bark.
I also kinda like the second to last photo; drastic pruning (/airlayering), but keeping the current angle :)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Paradox @Cadillactaste I'm still on the fence! I like the current design, but I think that in the long run I'd like to 'simplify' and compact it. You can't really tell from the picture, but there's alot of canopy for such a slender trunk. Besides, the bark is absolutely stunning! So imo too much canopy detracts from the appearance of age in the bark.
I also kinda like the second to last photo; drastic pruning (/airlayering), but keeping the current angle :)

you can still prune that branch with keeping it at same angle as suggested. I would actually jin it rather than remove it altogether

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this is more, a very valuable base, than much potential.

I think it is absolutely critical to use that DW line with the Jin Right.

I think I'd try to keep all foilage doing it, cuz your first attempt to compact it enough may crack.

Even with your angle change, that jin is going to make a closed form with the bottom lip of the crescent. That's gonna look meh, plus crescent pots are played out.

@Tidal Bonsai got his grafted.

That base is definitely worth sparing no expense.

Sorce

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think this is more, a very valuable base, than much potential.

I think it is absolutely critical to use that DW line with the Jin Right.

I think I'd try to keep all foilage doing it, cuz your first attempt to compact it enough may crack.

Even with your angle change, that jin is going to make a closed form with the bottom lip of the crescent. That's gonna look meh, plus crescent pots are played out.

@Tidal Bonsai got his grafted.

That base is definitely worth sparing no expense.

Sorce

huh?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You shimp graft! I think he should apply every kind of magic possible to accent that DW jin line.

I feel like changing the top before considering leaving it alone for grafting health would be a better use of time. If, when design sacrifices health, grafting is put off. Then you fail grafting, then you succeed.

I'd rather just jump to the failing grafts to get it right and move on.

It's near a damn shame because the movement is so pimp, but the base is too wide for a convincing literati. Maybe try to hold on to some of that movement with the layer off after the grafts take.

Pretty sure a crescent will work against, at least until the base is tilted aesthetically unpleasantly and horticulturally dangerously. Then the entire effect of the cascade is lost anyhow.

If you commissioned a crescent with the bottom lip also flowing down....bingo.

Like a Slab from... That dude from..ah..killing it with the rock texture slabs.

Sorce

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Great tree, and all in all, great suggestions!

I just wanted to add something regarding the bark. I would typically agree with this because most of my trees are pines and their bark shows their age... However, for junipers I believe it's the opposite. I was told that the bark allows spider mites and other insects to have a place to inhabit. Also, smoothing and cleaning the bark will allow you to see the live vein and accent its age much earlier - similar to ancient junipers in the wild where they are constantly sandblasted by the wind.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got it now! Not sure what the weather is like in Belgium, but people typically Scion graft in Fall or late winter. The important thing is protection from frost! I have put some tips from my own success on another thread.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get it back to full health first. Do not layer and make this a literati. Then better trade it. This is a nice little tree which with a little work can really come to shine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I see your sketch in the notebook. How do you plan to fire this one, setting it on kiln posts when you fire?

I just noticed my highly intricate sketch and wondered if it made the photo! Nice that you also spied it already!

Shrink could make a post fall, so I'll hang it over the edge of a shelf.

If .....

Sorce

Top Bottom