(Semi)Fused Trunk Privet #1 - any special advice?

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK I've got two or three of these and I assume it makes sense to give each their own thread since the advice might be wildly different. Still, I'll link to the other one(s) here in a moment in case any advice applies universally. EDIT: other thread is here

These were collected from old hedge-rows this past November-ish Chopped back a good bit and planted in nondescript buckets/ground soil. This past week, dug up to see if roots were forming. They looked healthy so I root pruned and bare-root potted in 50% Napa #8822, 40% potting soil, 10% mix of native soil/leftover bonsai mix/junk. Then I did a more strategic branch prune. 1st 3 pics are after I took it out of the ground, next 3 pics are the more strategic prune or how I chose to deal with the semi-fused trunk/roots. This is a grow box/get healthy/create new options phase... not a real bonsai or even training pot situation.

The main questions I have are whether any of you have approached semi-fused trunks like these before and have any opinions on whether they're worth pursuing or pursuing in any particular way. Also if you have thoughts on future pruning of this particular tree, I'd love to hear them. I have so many privets at this point I'm just experimenting and hoping that I learn something by f***ing up :)

Attachments

• IMG_2654.JPG
    IMG_2654.JPG
    512.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2655.JPG
    IMG_2655.JPG
    517.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2658.JPG
    IMG_2658.JPG