Semi-large dynamic azalea trunk- Need Styling Advice, Aiming for Semi-Cascade

Living Tribunal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm replacing several azaleas in the front yard. I dug up and potted this beautiful azalea last weekend. The trunk is approximately 4 inches across with a lot of movement. There is an 1.5 inch tall hole in the center of the trunk. This azalea is approximately 15 years old. It looks as though it was three cuttings that eventually fused together which caused the hole.

Potential front of tree:
azalea1.png

Using my hand to show trunk width:
azalea2.png

Potential back of tree:
azalea3.png

azalea4.png

I want to give a shot at my first larger semi-cascade azalea. I'm not sure if this is entirely possible given how the left-hand side limbs slope upwards. To achieve this, I would have to cut one of those thick left hand side limbs very close to the trunk. It would take many years to regain thickness, which I'm ok with that. I'm also uncertain as to which limb to keep on the left hand side. The split branch you see in the middle of the trunk is budding and healthy, I think this would be the best position for the crown.

I'd greatly appreciate any style tips/advice/guidance to make this into a semi-cascade tree. I know it's a bit of a stretch but I believe this could become a really beautiful tree with the right direction.

Thank you!

Living Tribunal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian Van Fleet, I had a feeling that was the case. I kept the long sections just to think about what I'd do with this odd trunk. I was thinking I could make a hard cut on the left almost all the way back to the trunk like this:

IMG_1880.JPG
And then begin the process of training growth down:
IMG_1886.PNG

That left branch is just too dominant unfortunately. I can't think any way to balance the tree without cutting those left branches back hard.

I think your suggestion for a more slant style is the best starting point. Thanks for the advice.

Living Tribunal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I went with similar cuts to what Brian proposed, thank you for the feedback! I'll clean them up after the tree regains health. I'll also cut the split trunk and tiny branch on the top middle. I also want to clean up some of the dangly surface roots. This is an odd trunk and it will be fun to see what happens to it.

IMG_5169.JPG

Top Bottom