Semi Stone Age Stoneware Pot, what do you think?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know there are many of you who really love their glazed pots, and I'm not going to mention any names Carol. So I have been mulling this over in my old brain for awhile and I made a prototype that has a rough stone edge but glaze as well. Curious as to your collective thoughts. Don't hold back.
IMG_5789.JPGIMG_5790.JPGIMG_5791.JPGIMG_5792.JPG

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the glaze. It kinda of just looks like the bottom of a broken container
This is the source of my ambivalence.
I like the color and visual texture of the glaze, but in this context it does feel like there are pieces missing.
A glaze is meant to be seen, and it isn't shown well with this shape.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Copper patina is my new favorite.

I feel like unless the pot was at eye level people wouldn’t really see it.

what if you glazes the rim? Maybe a couple shuttle drips going inside??

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You have been successful with your unglazed stone-age pots and you make nice glazed pots as well. Not sure about mixing the two. I kind of prefer the stone-age pots unglazed.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The Stone Age pot I purchased a few months ago has a deeper profile, more like a bowl. A glazed exterior would be very visible from nearly any angle. I think glazed Stone Age pots would be great, but the unglazed might be more versatile.

I love the sturdy weight of my Stone Age pot. I live in a high and constant wind area and like knowing that my plant isn't going to blow over.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Stone Age pot I purchased a few months ago has a deeper profile, more like a bowl. A glazed exterior would be very visible from nearly any angle. I think glazed Stone Age pots would be great, but the unglazed might be more versatile.
I think it pops even on the low pot I used as an example but I will have more comments after more people pipe in.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it! Personally I would prefer an even bolder/brighter glaze though.
I completely agree about bolder and brighter colors, almost deco like. But since this was my maiden voyage on this pot I went with a subtle glaze that reflects the stone like edge. But hell yeah, I already have plans for a few more, even for cascade stye pots.

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I completely agree about bolder and brighter colors, almost deco like. But since this was my maiden voyage on this pot I went with a subtle glaze that reflects the stone like edge. But hell yeah, I already have plans for a few more, even for cascade stye pots.
I'm interested in seeing your plans for the Cascade style pots!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My internet service has been very poor, lately. so i couldn’t respond when I first saw this.

I love it, friend...

It reminds me of a novel by Leo Brett called “Power Sphere”.. the book is mostly dialogue.. but many good ones are.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was just thinking about the fossil designs on some of the pots you recently sold on here. I know there's a word for the technique I'm thinking of, but can't remember it 5 minutes after waking up. Glaze over the textured surface then lightly wipe it away so it's heavier in the crevices and very light on the raised surfaces.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Penumbra, I really enjoy all your posts about your pots. I like the subtle glaze and smooth exterior of this pot. They make a subdued aesthetic contrast with the rough rim.

I would love to see some photos of your pots with trees in them. Selecting pots is difficult for me, partly because my budget is so low. Your pots consistently appeal to me, but I have a hard time visualizing which of my trees would look good in them. So, everyone please post photos of your tree(s) in Stone Age pots.

Also, have you made any slabs?

Top Bottom