Semicascade Procumbens Nana - Sunset

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Wired, branch-selected, and repotted this procumbens nana yesterday. I didn't have much in the way of hope for this one so didn't take a before pic - it had sat neglected, roots floating around the pot (this is a tree from my first year doing "bonsai", before I understood how important it was to tie the tree down to the pot), I'm pretty sure it's got some spider mites, and there was a slug living in the rootball. But, I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

The first pic is from halfway through working the tree, when I started thinking that it might actually turn into something.

One concern I've got is that the pot isn't a "bonsai" pot. It's only got one small drainage hole in the bottom, but it's reeeeeeal small. Maybe 1/4 inch. The water was draining well yesterday when I watered it in, so hopefully it'll do OK.

I think aftercare will be key - half shade for the next couple weeks, and I'm gonna start treating the suspected mite infestation with a dishsoap/rubbing alcohol/water spray.

Attachments

• Sunset Nana 1.jpg
    Sunset Nana 1.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 67
  • Sunset Nana 5.jpg
    Sunset Nana 5.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Sunset Nana 7.jpg
    Sunset Nana 7.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 62

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

I'd try submerging it for a few hours to rid mites.
I've left em 24hours with no problems.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This tree took a turn for the worse after I potted it up in Feb '21. Turns out this pot wasn't great for the tree - the drainage hole was WAAAAAAAAY too small, the pot held a ton of water, and basically all the roots rotted off -

IMG_9310.jpg
IMG_9318.jpg

The photos above were taken in August '21 - you can see from the lower pic that this tree had basically no rootball to speak of. I repotted it into a Sorce cascade pot I had picked up a few months prior, and the tree took off and really started growing

IMG_9323.jpg

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and I knocked this planting off the bench while watering and cracked it in two. Sorry Sorce!!!! I threw some wire on it to hold it together for the time being, and today I took it apart and put it into a new container.

IMG_9873.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg

IMG_9877.jpg

You can see that there's been a lot of healthy root growth since August. So, I disturbed the roots as little as possible, didn't trim any of them, and got it planted into a round cascade pot

IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9880.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

This isn't the end of the line for the broken pot, however. I bought a kintsugi kit and I'm gonna try to bodge it back together

Attachments

• IMG_9309.jpg
    IMG_9309.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 33

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the look inside.

It could have been fired better.

When I get one toe on the ground I'll replace it, please don't be hesitant to remind me.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This isn't the end of the line for the broken pot, however. I bought a kintsugi kit and I'm gonna try to bodge it back together
Let us know how this goes. I have a couple handmade pots I would love to fix this way.
Which kit did you buy?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree took a turn for the worse after I potted it up in Feb '21. Turns out this pot wasn't great for the tree - the drainage hole was WAAAAAAAAY too small, the pot held a ton of water, and basically all the roots rotted off -

View attachment 414663
View attachment 414664

The photos above were taken in August '21 - you can see from the lower pic that this tree had basically no rootball to speak of. I repotted it into a Sorce cascade pot I had picked up a few months prior, and the tree took off and really started growing

View attachment 414665

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and I knocked this planting off the bench while watering and cracked it in two. Sorry Sorce!!!! I threw some wire on it to hold it together for the time being, and today I took it apart and put it into a new container.

View attachment 414666

View attachment 414667

View attachment 414668

You can see that there's been a lot of healthy root growth since August. So, I disturbed the roots as little as possible, didn't trim any of them, and got it planted into a round cascade pot

View attachment 414671

View attachment 414672

View attachment 414673

Let us know how this goes. I have a couple handmade pots I would love to fix this way.
Which kit did you buy?
I didn't buy a kit, but I had good results following @ABCarve's thread (I posted mine in there). Also on a @sorce pot (but it was a freebie that broke in shipping).

Here's his process:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Which kit did you buy?
I remember @ABCarve's kintsugi thread also, but I decided to go the kit route. I found a kit on Etsy from a seller named Christian Bonner (www.christiankbonner.com) and it was delivered yesterday. It's a great kit - beautiful packaging, instructions, tools...I'm excited to use it!

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9890.jpg

Also, I wanted to give a shoutout to @Eric Schrader - the round cascade pot I potted this tree into came from Bonsaify. It's a Mitunobu Ito pot with some ash-tinged detail, it's an absolutely beautiful piece.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I remember @ABCarve's kintsugi thread also, but I decided to go the kit route. I found a kit on Etsy from a seller named Christian Bonner (www.christiankbonner.com) and it was delivered yesterday. It's a great kit - beautiful packaging, instructions, tools...I'm excited to use it!

View attachment 415376

View attachment 415377

Also, I wanted to give a shoutout to @Eric Schrader - the round cascade pot I potted this tree into came from Bonsaify. It's a Mitunobu Ito pot with some ash-tinged detail, it's an absolutely beautiful piece.
Very cool!

Top Bottom