Sentimental Square Footage- a thread inspired by Bart99.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So is it true?

This phenomenon where the square footage of space you allow for "sentimental" trees lessens with years.

I don't think I have anymore.

And I may kill a few trees on purpose soon.

Schtack Ranking...inspired by Bolero via AMCoffee...via..Bart99 via Stickroot inspired .Kathy pic .repost via BVF as translated thru the croak of a monkey humped toad.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I lost a couple bougainvillea last year...mixed the lawn/flowerbeds dose of fertilizer and noticed its shock of the treatment. I had three pots. I chose to try and save the larger cascade and let the sentimental one I got first...be a casualty. Culling for better matieral...and a learning experience I won't soon forget. I spared the cascade...which was my goal. I flushed and flushed...and flushed for good measure the substrate. I guess I could have worked all three flushing. But, my mind was on saving the better of the three.

I have country style benches...the bonsai will never be on a bonsai bench in the yard. But...stay on my deck and back patio. So...I have to be selective...space doesn't allow for sentimental trees. I don't wish to change the look of my landscape that I took love and devotion to create. Not that I don't appreciate ones benches and their yards...don't get me wrong. It's just not the look I myself strive to achieve. It may be part of my OCD...or, just my own personal preference...I'm not so hung up on it that I feel I need to decide which factor plays more strongly. So where ones have far more on their bench than I...I'm content with what I have.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If by "sentimental" you mean "trees that you know will never be bonsai" I can honestly say I have about the same amount now as ever :) However the number of nice trees I have keeps increasing, so as a percentage my sentimental trees decrease :)

One thing that Ryan Neil said that is very true. I fall in and out of love with my trees a lot. One year I will love a tree, and the next year it will be "meh". Then I will prune it and fall in love with it again :)

Reaction score
I don't know if I truly have any sentimental trees- I have favorites and projects, but all the ones from the beginning 4 (?) years ago were dead 3.5-3.75 years ago. There are some projects that have stalled along the learning curve, now I'm looking at sinking them in the ground and coming back 10 years later to see where they might be when left to their own devices.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have sentimental trees that were gifts from family, very good friends, and my ex fiancé. I won't give them up to anybody, unless it is back to the original person who gave it to me. Those are some of my most important trees, even over my very old yamadori.

Aaron

Top Bottom