Separating a Trident group planting...how and when?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought a 3 plant (trident maple) group planting priced rather reasonably, with the intent of separating them and get 3 for 1. From what I was told, they were planted & growing together for 3 seasons now. The trees are about 2.5" to 3" in diameter and about 30" high (guessing here). I plan on air-layering these (eventually) rather than chopping them. If it is not obvious, I am trying to propagate trident maple (cheaply). ;)

The root mass to the edge of the pot (approx 17x20) looks like a solid mass of fine roots. so no matter what I do, I will damage tons of roots and will probably slow these trees down a season's worth.

My 2 choices are:
Option #1. Saw between the 3 working around the biggest roots if possible.
Option #2. Try to work around the roots and wiggle them apart eventually. This could mean a lot of work and may work great OR very likely cause much more damage than option #1.
Option #3. Let them be and air layer all 3 at ground level since they all don't have nice nebari to begin with.

Any tips when and how I should go about separating them?

Thanks!

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are taking the saw to them then late winter/early spring as the buds swell is a good time. I have sawed a lot of roots off tridents in the spring with no problems.

If they have bad nebari I would just go ahead and do the layers. Also if you start at the top you may be able to get a couple layers off each tree.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you are taking the saw to them then late winter/early spring as the buds swell is a good time. I have sawed a lot of roots off tridents in the spring with no problems.

If they have bad nebari I would just go ahead and do the layers. Also if you start at the top you may be able to get a couple layers off each tree.

Thanks!

That is the plan...actually hoping to get 3 trees out of each. :D Just not sure which way is the best approach...top to bottom or bottom up. Complicate that with separate first or layer (the top) first. :rolleyes:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the early spring, pull them out of the soil, take a hose to entire root mass, bareroot it. That will make it easier to see where the big roots are and what needs to be cut through. If you just saw through the mass you will likely sever alot of finer roots that don't need to be taken out...

Three years isn't that long for the roots to knit together tightly, so you might find with a bit of manipulation that the three can be separated without any sawing...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Separated the trio (as rockm suggested) and are now in their own training pots.

I ended chopping lots of roots on two because they are really badly formed (i.e. 2 layers of huge roots). It is a gamble to improve the nebari and I hope I did the right thing. We will know if they survived the "abuse" in a month or so.

Pics will follow...only if they survive. LOL :eek:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I forgot to mention...I planted the 2 chopped bottom trunk/root sections. We will see if those send any sprouts too.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Like berobinson82 sez,

useless_without_pics_2.gif.jpg Let's see 'em big boy.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 30664 Let's see 'em big boy.

Ok! Ok! (tough crowd!) LOL

Honestly, I was going to take pics last weekend but my camera died on me. After it got re-charged I already lost interest and it was getting late/darker too.

I will try again this weekend...maybe do the bending tool pictorial then as well.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok! Ok! (tough crowd!) LOL

Honestly, I was going to take pics last weekend but my camera died on me. After it got re-charged I already lost interest and it was getting late/darker too.

I will try again this weekend...maybe do the bending tool pictorial then as well.

You sound overwhelmed - I suggest you send some of you larger stock to me and have more time with what you keep :p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice try Grim. As I said before, I actually want more but have no more space. I check each and everyone of my plants everyday (several times) and can't imagine working with less.

It was the camera that lost steam!!! :p LOL

BTW, it can take 300 pics per charge, I just started with a partially charged battery. Moving trees back and forth didn't help either...too much camera standby time.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice try Grim. As I said before, I actually want more but have no more space. I check each and everyone of my plants everyday (several times) and can't imagine working with less.

It was the camera that lost steam!!! :p LOL

BTW, it can take 300 pics per charge, I just started with a partially charged battery. Moving trees back and forth didn't help either...too much camera standby time.

I will pay shipping and buy you a better camera - NOT! I walked about Grandmothers farm today and dicovered there is a lot of collecting that I will busy with at her recommendation, especially around the 2 1/2 acre pond.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still no pic???? what does one have to do to see some pics?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario,
Have these cuttings shown any sign of life yet?

Ernie

The roots don't have any shoots...though they rooted well lol. I disturbed one to see if it is still alive and it is. I'll give it a few months before disposing. Not sure if maple bud at roots w/o any nodes.

The branch/trunk cuttings are doing okay. I took 8, 4 died, 4 are growing. We had a HOA sprinkler problem and the cuttings got soaked for couple of weeks straight. I think I am lucky to have 4 survive given the situation/condition.

Here is a pic of 2 in one container I snapped in random more than 2 weeks ago. It is more lush now.
View attachment 35234

Top Bottom