Separating airlayer

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Do maple really care when you separate a air layer? I have a grafted coral bark I've layered and it has roots now.
I want to separate it soon as its ready so the green base has time to pop out new growth.

The coral would go in a nursery pot for now but its destined for the landscape.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is a huge window of opportunity. I have successfully removed layers with just a few straggly roots but treated the layer like a cutting while the rest of the roots came in properly. I feel that removal really makes the tree concentrate on growing those roots far more than when it had the support of the host trunk.
I have removed layers at all times of the year. Survival is high but can depend on a number of factors:
Root/ leaf ratio. If there are few roots remove some leaves or maintain higher humidity to prevent dehydration for a few weeks. In many cases the layer will just drop a few leaves to compensate. i usually remove some of the branches or partial defoliation if it has a big top.
Aftercare. Full, direct, hot sun and low humidity will stress any tree and could kill one with fewer roots. Deep shade is not good either and may create additional problems when you finally decide to move to sunnier location. Good direct morning sun but afternoon shade appears to be a good solution. Avoid windy locations wherever possible.

You may need to tie the layer into the new pot. Few roots and lots of leaves make them prone to blow over in wind or topple over with just the weight of the branches.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks for the advice. Its a pretty big air layer so I'm letting the roots grow a couple more weeks.

I will remove some of the foliage when I separate. That was something I was already concerned about since the layer is a good 3 ft tall.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just keep an eye on moisture in the pot/bag. As the roots develop they start to take lots of water. You may need to add water more often.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The remaining stick should have enough time to pop and live from here. You should get another flush of growth after the Solstice.

Any buds leaves or branches below at all?

Sorce

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
The remaining stick should have enough time to pop and live from here. You should get another flush of growth after the Solstice.

Any buds leaves or branches below at all?

Sorce

Yeah, there is one small branch on the green root stock and I noticed a bud popping out lower so it should do well.

Beelz

Seedling
Reaction score
Here’s one I separated about two weeks ago living in AM sun and hidden by a house in PM. Tied up to the pot and shelf so it won’t move.
I’ve been having great cutting and air layering success with water + very light dose of rooting hormone + super thrive. This was my first air layer ever.
That maple tree has 2 more going, I also have a shishigashira with like 4 on it all seem to be doing well. 50D3A87E-484A-4979-9CE7-1266B9E56499.jpeg50D3A87E-484A-4979-9CE7-1266B9E56499.jpegE8477F61-0478-4036-A6C5-01F0460D542A.jpegF66A11C9-065C-4A35-8E78-D41C86D9BABD.jpegD563DA28-BFC8-49A6-99F1-64564EAC38AE.jpeg712B124A-D5FA-427F-8733-5D785BE1875F.jpegB7AE8355-8996-40BA-B6AB-6278C67B5D8B.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

There will be less question if we stop using grandma's tomato Layering technique, and start giving roots room to grow, divide, Air-Prune even.

We start at the roots.
So start with the roots.

Growing them downward into a tiny container shape is soooooo working against our goals.

It's like needing to feed a baby, but punching it in the face instead.

Sorce

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Wow
Here’s one I separated about two weeks ago living in AM sun and hidden by a house in PM. Tied up to the pot and shelf so it won’t move.
I’ve been having great cutting and air layering success with water + very light dose of rooting hormone + super thrive. This was my first air layer ever.
That maple tree has 2 more going, I also have a shishigashira with like 4 on it all seem to be doing well. View attachment 312266View attachment 312266View attachment 312267View attachment 312268View attachment 312269View attachment 312270View attachment 312271
That maple tree has 2 more going, I also have a shishigashira with like 4 on it all seem to be doing well. View attachment 312266View attachment 312266View attachment 312267View attachment 312268View attachment 312269View attachment 312270View attachment 312271
Wow. It looks like I need to let my roots thicken up. What do you all think?

Beelz

Seedling
Reaction score

There will be less question if we stop using grandma's tomato Layering technique, and start giving roots room to grow, divide, Air-Prune even.

We start at the roots.
So start with the roots.

Growing them downward into a tiny container shape is soooooo working against our goals.

It's like needing to feed a baby, but punching it in the face instead.

Sorce

Cool. I looked through that thread you've linked to. Only found the forums yesterday but air layered a few weeks ago. It's unfortunate that google doesn't really post solutions from this forum otherwise I would have found it soon. Going to go try and switch over all my remaining air layers to this method. Still learning a lot about roots... I kind of went backwards. When I put the air layer into the new pot I debated on separating out the roots or not. It may have to wait until early spring when everything gets repotted.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I seperate about a week after I see roots reach the plastic. If you feel you have enough roots seperate now so it has time to grow enough roots for winter.

Top Bottom