Sequoia sapling

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 2 inch sequoia sapling, i live in CT zone 5. Will it survive the winter in a clay pot outside?

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
If you google "sequoia hardiness zone" it says it should be hardy to USDA zone 6 so I think some protection would be necessary in your case (zone 5).

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking of wrapping it in bubble wrap. Would that help? And should i cover it with snow or will that kill it?

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Snow is a good insulator. So if it snows let it be covered. It'll be ~32° under there.

But if you can dig a hole and bury the pot up to the soil line. That would be much better insulation than bubble wrap.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm…. Sequoias are pretty tough.

Try this, dig the pot et al in the ground with the rim about 1/2 above the soil line on the leeward side of the house/shed in partial sun, with rocks or bark underneath the pot for drainage. Then put sifted medium bark mulch on top. Pile snow on top if its around.

Water before and after freezes/thaws.

Cheers
DSD sends

PS Please edit your profile by tapping your icon on the top of the page, then tap account details and enter your approximate location and USDA Zone. Then this information will display on your icon so folks can help you better in each conversation… and your might discover some bonsai hobbyists in your neck of the woods too. 😉

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem is i live in an apartment complex so only have a tiny ledge outside my window. This lady i did gardening for gave me some sequoia seeds she got from walmart and only one survived. I just had a son and the seed germinated around the same time I found out i was pregnant so this little sequoia is very special to me and i would like to gift it to my son once he’s old enough. I know I’m not in the perfect environment and that I’m taking on a challenge but i would like to do my best to get it through the winter.

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Snow is a good insulator. So if it snows let it be covered. It'll be ~32° under there.

But if you can dig a hole and bury the pot up to the soil line. That would be much better insulation than bubble wrap.
Unfortunately i live in an apartment and can’t do that… bubble wrap is all i can think of

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I’m working with… extremely small ledge outside my living room window

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 39

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Would your landlord/building manager let you put it on the ground in one of those garden beds I see in the photo? That ledge it going to be really cold exposed on all sides to the air.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow! Great story. Sadly I fear this little tree will be in extremis on the ledge during the winter. It would have a better chance on/in the ground directly below the ledge.

It seems a Sequoia would not be a good tree to grow in that area anyways. I’ve Coastal and Dawn redwoods in pots in the back yard and they easily grow 10’ a year unless potbound.

Three other options.

See if a friend with a home can ‘trees it’ it for the winter.

See if a local nursery can do the same.

Get a small tropical bonsai instead that can be kept indoors.

Good luck
DSD sends

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
UPDATE!!!!!
Well somehow this little guy survived the whole winter in my bathroom and as soon as i put him outside he exploded!!!! Went from barely 2 inches to this little monster. I’m so happy yay 😁
I think I’m either very lucky or this proves that trees can survive anywhere if they want to. There are pics of what it looked like somewhere in this thread. I’m pretty impressed if i may say so myself
29824764-CB1B-4A65-8782-E2D916244B74.jpeg

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have also had some success overwintering a sequoia indoors. It remains to be seen if this is sustainable over many years, but so far, so good. I initially kept it outside for the winter. It survived, but not without significant die-back on the branches. I think, ultimately, the issue is that the branches dehydrate if the rootball is totally frozen for a long time. Indoors, it struggles somewhat with the low humidity, but it still seems to do better indoors over winter than outside in my climate.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think if you really baby it (appropriate!) you just might be able to make it work by inside during severe cold temps and outside otherwise, but im more worried about the pot falling off the ledge! How are you ensuring that the pot doesnt get knocked off by a bird or wind?

Cool that it survived the winter. I think a tree-sitter may be a great option. Maybe someone in your local bonsai club with established protection would be willing to watch it for the winter. Get some indoor trees like a Ficus or even Jades! Good luck!

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It w
I have also had some success overwintering a sequoia indoors. It remains to be seen if this is sustainable over many years, but so far, so good. I initially kept it outside for the winter. It survived, but not without significant die-back on the branches. I think, ultimately, the issue is that the branches dehydrate if the rootball is totally frozen for a long time. Indoors, it struggles somewhat with the low humidity, but it still seems to do better indoors over winter than outside in my climate.
It was in my bathroom and i think that’s what kept it humid.

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think if you really baby it (appropriate!) you just might be able to make it work by inside during severe cold temps and outside otherwise, but im more worried about the pot falling off the ledge! How are you ensuring that the pot doesnt get knocked off by a bird or wind?

Cool that it survived the winter. I think a tree-sitter may be a great option. Maybe someone in your local bonsai club with established protection would be willing to watch it for the winter. Get some indoor trees like a Ficus or even Jades! Good luck!
It’s not on the ledge anymore thankfully we moved and now i have a little outdoor space! But i still can’t plant it in the ground…
I don’t know anyone that would be willing and I honestly don’t trust anyone lol i love my little tree and I’m glad it’s doing well or at least it looks happy. It will have to stay potted until i know where my forever home is going to be.

Bizzybea1810

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The photo of it is inside because of all the rain we had I didn’t want it to drown so i took it inside

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I wintered indoors for a few years. Last winter in the garage. These Sequoia Gigentum are supposed to get 4-6' a year growth! Mine gets 4-6" so soil must be wrong or something. It always looks to be in good shape. Always green with growth tips, but slow as a snail. About 1' in a 2 gallon nursery pot. Also I read you could burn it with 10:10:10?

Top Bottom