Serious about Bonsai this time

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks @Tieball
Do you know for certain they grow in the wild in SW Michigan?
Well...that I cannot be certain of for where you live, however, they grow all over Michigan....all over many states.....so I’m thinking Portage is included. The map shows the common locality of the American Elm. Once discovered you’ll notice them more often. Elm cuttings take root reasonably fast too. Weird example. I chopped the top off an American Elm growing. The chop was about 1.5” diameter. A spring chop at bud swell. While working on the remaining tree I just stuck that top in a plastic pot of native soil. No fancy techniques. The top took root and grew healthy that summer. It sat outside all winter and is pushing out buds and leaves now. I have stuck simple branch cutting in the ground also to have them take root and grow...then I dig them up and root prune.
87F7C0EB-0E53-4DDD-BBD1-D0B020CF46BE.jpeg

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well...that I cannot be certain of for where you live, however, they grow all over Michigan....all over many states.....so I’m thinking Portage is included. The map shows the common locality of the American Elm. Once discovered you’ll notice them more often. Elm cuttings take root reasonably fast too. Weird example. I chopped the top off an American Elm growing. The chop was about 1.5” diameter. A spring chop at bud swell. While working on the remaining tree I just stuck that top in a plastic pot of native soil. No fancy techniques. The top took root and grew healthy that summer. It sat outside all winter and is pushing out buds and leaves now. I have stuck simple branch cutting in the ground also to have them take root and grow...then I dig them up and root prune.
View attachment 370983
Can confirm they grow all over the place in Portage ish! I have 3 that rooted easily from cuttings 2 years ago. Long way to go but enjoying watching them grow so far.

@Michigan Bonsai sounds great, let's connect at the show and absolutely - my collection is high in volume and low in quality at this stage - not many finished trees but would be happy to show you what I've got so far!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
@Tieball I’ll take my kids to the forest this weekend and report back
@Brad in GR doesn't matter to me, I am easily impressed and my wife probably would love for me to talk to someone else about this stuff 😂
See you in GR
Anyone else going to the show?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I am seeing some brown spots on some new growth... anything to be concerned about?

Attachments

• EEAAC6AC-7F37-49AA-ACC7-FC28CF2E278B.jpeg
    EEAAC6AC-7F37-49AA-ACC7-FC28CF2E278B.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 25

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are they in high humidity/looks like greenhouse all the time? Potential fungal issues if so. Maybe try spraying them with some daconil?
Not a lot of issues with fungus for me so far except for crabapple, but I am currently without a greenhouse setup. Hope others weigh in as I’m not great at identifying this one!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You are right they were in the greenhouse. I took them out, back in the basement with grow light
I cut off all leaves that had that rust, and discovered some aphids too... they have spread from a Carmona that I received with aphids
I sprayed water + liquid soap, hopefully that is the end of them

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Curious...
You mention Greenhouse, do you have one ???
You mentioned "if your job takes you there" so what is your job ???
IMO you should try Seedlings and/or Pre-Bonsai in Juniper...Green Mound, Nana, Procumbens...
Leave them outside watch them grow...Light Style once a year or as Growth indicates...
If really interested in Bonsai, drive over to Flower Market just this side of Monroe, MI. And talk with Kurt Smith owner manager, Easily Best Bonsai shop in the MidWest....also on the Internet, type in Flower Market Bonsai.......

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Curious...
You mention Greenhouse, do you have one ???
You mentioned "if your job takes you there" so what is your job ???
IMO you should try Seedlings and/or Pre-Bonsai in Juniper...Green Mound, Nana, Procumbens...
Leave them outside watch them grow...Light Style once a year or as Growth indicates...
If really interested in Bonsai, drive over to Flower Market just this side of Monroe, MI. And talk with Kurt Smith owner manager, Easily Best Bonsai shop in the MidWest....also on the Internet, type in Flower Market Bonsai.......
Yes I have a tiny greenhouse
I work in procurement, so I tend to travel a bit, in normal times
For some reason I am not a huge fan of juniper, or pines in general. I much prefer deciduous trees
Thanks for the tip on Flower market, they seem to have some very nice trees! I will stop by if I head that direction

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I believe I finally got rid of all aphids that arrived with that Carmona
A lot of leaves were showing back spots, some of them falling right off
I cut off all that were showing any unhealthy sign, this is what’s left!
DC5C6DBA-FAED-4148-8EED-8824EAB6B95F.jpeg
When is a good time to repot Carmonas?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Never, they hate everything!
I was actually going to say something similar!!

I repot tropicals/sub-tropicals/semi-deciduous/Arids either in high-summer, or (mostly) Early autumn.. RIGHT before they come in..

But I avoid Carmona... a nurseryman in Carolina once said, “They’ll just break your heart” to me.. of Fukien Tea Trees. HAHA.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I got two from Brussels, I love their trunks and leaves, plus those tiny cute flowers... I will leave them in the soil they came in,, it doesn't look good but it can wait until early fall!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I got two from Brussels, I love their trunks and leaves, plus those tiny cute flowers... I will leave them in the soil they came in,, it doesn't look good but it can wait until early fall!
No doubt! They are beautiful trees.

I’m sure yours will appreciate your patience.

:)

Top Bottom